Puzzled about my clean install of XP??????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Diallo B, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

folks, my 'play' computer (pII, 350mhz, 224mb ram, 6 gb primary with OS, 120gb partitioned 4 ways to store media files) was giving me problems and i decided to give it a clean install of xp pro while i watched the games today. i thought everything went as it was supposed to.

well after all was said and done, i go into my program files folder on my c drive and see a whole bunch of programs i have yet to install there. they were all the programs that were on the drive before. is this normal? should i have reformatted the drive before i did the clean install?

i am a little peeved now because i wanted to start from scratch.

does anyone know what i did wrong if anything at all?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Without knowing what you did to get a "clean" install it's hard to say. Are you sure you didn't do some kind of repair install? You're going to want to format the drive to do a clean install.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It would have been better to remove the original partition, and then create another partition in its place to do the truly clean install of XP.

4. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, my idea of a clean install involves a format/re-partition of the hard drive...

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If you didn't format the partition then yes, all of your original Program Files entries will be there. That said, they wont be installed into your new XP so the programs themselves will probably be unusable. Just delete the entries you know you haven't reinstalled.

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

thanks folks,

i see now that i should have reformatted the drive. i thought that when you reinstalled xp with a new install and not a repair install that it wiped the drive. live and learn.

Rob, part of my problem is that some of the entries will not allow me to delete them. they are all microsoft programs like frontpage, moviemaker, messenger, etc. some of the programs are usuable and saved me some time reinstalling them, like nero, spybot and adaware. but I think i will do a proper clean install of xp next sunday when i watch the playoffs..............uuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhh hhhhhh!!!