What's new

Puzzle games anyone? Advice needed here. (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, as the subject says I quite fancy getting a new puzzle game for in front of the TV (on my GBA I've got plenty, but thats a different subject really). I've got a PS2 and a Dreamcast currently, and while I've got plenty of good ones on my DC (Mr. Driller rules, but Bust A Move 4 gets a fair bit of play as well) I'm trying to find something for my PS2 to do.

I've already made the mistake of buying Super Bust A Move, which is just like Bust A Move 4 on DC but with a totally broken control system and horrible new graphic style, and I bought Fantavision but I'm struggling to get my head round the game. Once upon a time there were tons of puzzlers out there; now it seems my only hope is to fork out for a Gamecube so I can buy my own Monkey Ball.

So, are there ANY decent PS2 puzzle games out there?

paul h

Supporting Actor
Worms Blast is quite good fun but i suggest you rent it first and definitely pick up Frequency when it comes out...awesome rythmn type game and packed with fantastic tunes and great multiplayer!
check out a review here:
Link Removed

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Paul. I'd forgotten that Frequency was going to get a UK release after all, probably after Edge and the rest banging on about it in their inimitable way.

Worms Blast just looked like another Puzzle Bobble type game, which I've gone all cautious about, but I might try to rent it soon.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Worms Blast /is/ Puzzle Bobble "with a twist!". Sigh.

Personally, I'd suggest sweeping up some bargain PSX puzzlers instead of waiting for PS2 specific ones.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
There's also a puzzle game called "Zoocube" coming out for GCN and GBA. It looks interesting. I don't know if a PS2 version is the works though.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
And Namco's releasing a new Mr. Driller for one of the consoles, the GameCube if I'm not mistaken...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo needs to do an update of TetriSphere. I loved that game. I don't think it did very well though.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Have you given ICO a play?, not a puzzle game as such but still a fantastic gaming experience.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to all of the cube's puzzle games. Zoocube comes next week! Mr. Driller will likely be fun, and an update of Tetrisphere would rock! Let's hope they think so too.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Re: ICO. I tried the demo, was really getting into it, and then these shadow guys turned up and kidnapped Yorda. Over and over and over again. Repeatedly.

Did I say it happened a lot, without me being able to progress any further? Well, it happened quite a fair bit before I gave up.

Well, as I couldn't even complete the demo (which is fairly clearly just the first few rooms), I decided I was too bad at it to fork out £40 for the full thing.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I just want a brand new four-player version of Tetris Attack. I'm usually not really big on puzzlers, but Tetris Attack sucked time away from me like few games do. A friend and I used to play it for hours back during my undergrad, great fun :)

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find it... I still think Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is one of the best competetive puzzle games ever made...

You might find a PS1 version lying around somewhere, and I believe they released it for the Dreamcast in Japan...

(you'd have to look around to find either of these)

Good luck...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
PSX Super Puzzle Fighter isn't anywhere near as 'hard to find' in the UK as it is over here in the US.

The Dreamcast version is fairly plentiful too - you should be able to pick it up from importers for around $40.

I wish Capcom would realise what they're sitting on & re-release it in the US for a sensible price. They'd get a nice bunch of sales if it was rereleased at $9.99 on the PSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks