What's new

Putting two speakers out by the deck (1 Viewer)

Marc Go

Agent
Hello. I was hoping to get some assistance in installing a couple of speakers out by my deck. I have an Onkyo 595 Receiver that I can use the "B" switch for the outdoor speakers. This will be a spring project for sure!

My questions:

What is the best way to run wire from family room out to the deck (it is right off the family room)? Drill holes in wall, etc? How about tips on "hiding" wire running up the side of the house?

What type of wire to use?

Where to mount speakers? I have an overhang on the roof above the deck to mount under, but this is pretty high up. Will the speakers get "lost" up so high? Any special brackets needed? How are the speakers that mount right on the deck itself?

Can the speakers stay outside year round (here in Northern NJ we get pretty cold winters)?

Best (and most economical) outdoor speakers?

Any other advice tips?

Thanks.

Neil Robichaud

Auditioning
I have been looking into the same thing for my house. I have only looked at one set of outdoor speakers - the mounting brackets, etc. came with the package. I have not looked at any others yet so I can't recommend specific speakers.

The dealer did indicate that the speakers were designed to be left outdoors year round (in our cold Canadian winters), although he recommended bringing them in over the winter if they are not going to be used.

As for placement of the speakers - I'm still working on that myself. I would say that if they are too high up on the house you may have to crank up the volume in order to hear - in which case, hopefully the neighbours are not too close!!!

Good luck - I'll be checking back to see what other advice you get.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I too am looking into this for my home. I want to have some installed by the deck. I've seen some 'weather proof' speakers that can be mounted in the sofit area, sort of flush mounted. I am thinking of looking at that option. Neat, clean, out of the way.

~Kurt

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
I put speakers out around my deck last summer. I found some that look like my garden lights that I have in my rock garden. They actually sound pretty good for being only a 5" driver. I used the B speaker channel for them and I just fire the remote through the window for volume. This summer I will be installing a remote sensor on the deck for convinence. Outdoor spkrs are designed too stay outside all year, but I don't think I will chance turning mine on till the weather warms up.

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an idea I am tossing around for this....
Take a 2.4GHZ Wireless Room-to-Room Audio/Video Sender from here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1972
Pair it with something like the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76
And I have wireless, powerful, portable audio output from my CD changer anywhere within the 2.4GHZ transmitter range (garage, back yard)....(And the transmitter will do video, in case you feel like watching the football game outside on the deck with friends while you barbecue....):)
I already have decent 5 piece computer speakers running off my Zone 2 and hidden above the kitchen cabinets (there's a plug in up there), and they sound excellent (and they were cheap!).
Just an idea....
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks