Putting TVs on top of SBS box subs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Wallis, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Wallis

Wallis Agent

Hello all. I have a quick question.

I am installing a home theater system with a front projector. The audio system will include an SVS box sub (either a PB1-Plus or a PB2-Plus). We will have a second tube television (19" or 27") that we will use when we are not using the front projector. The tube television will NOT be hooked up to our HTS audio system--in other words, the SVS sub will not be going when the tube television is on.

Can I use the SVS subwoofer as a television stand and set the tube television on top of it? Being able to do so will help me convince my wife to get an SVS sub. My concerns are that the sub will jiggle the tube's electronic components to pieces or, even worse, shake it off the top of the sub.

Thanks in advance.

Wallis

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

You may want to check with SVS but typically Subs are not magnetically shielded and could cause problems with your CRT TV (even though the sub is not on).

I keep reading numbers of 1 to 2 feet distance between unshielded speakers and CRT's.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the TV shaking apart, but I would be worried about the picture degrading due to magnetic interference.

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Well - if you do decide to place it on top of your SVS, I would at least put a towel between the two b/c the vibrations off the sub might cause scratches to the SVS's finish.

4. Wallis

Wallis Agent

Thanks. I have heard from others as well that this probably won't work because of the magnetic field and the vibrations. Oh well.

5. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Wallis,

Using an SVS as a stand is indeed probably not a good idea. I would hesitate to say it's not worth a try. Much depends on the set in question. There is very little vibration on the surface of a PB1-ISD, but it's not like an intert object either.

The EMI issue would probably more of a factor. While only a separation of a foot or two is normally is needed, you will have what I'd say is the minimum in your case.

Ron

6. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

Buy a table to hold the TV over the sub. Something nice in dark stain solid wood would probably look good... You could even tablecloth it with no loss in sub effect, but then you wouldn't be able to see your purty plus - only the tablecloth puffing out.

Food for the bargaining table, perhaps.