What's new

Putting receiver in an armoire? (1 Viewer)

mike.c

Auditioning
I am thinking about purchasing an armoire and placing my old Sony STR-D1011S receiver in it. I currently keep it turned on all the time and use it to amplify music played from my computer. In general, is it a bad idea to keep a receiver turned on all the time in an enclosed environment? I would like to keep the armoire closed. I am not so concerned about the old receiver, but I may purchase a new one soon.

Thanks.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
You will reduce the life span of the receiver because the heat has no where to escape. If possible install a small cooling fan on the rear of the amoire. As far as leaving it on there are mixed opinions. If you have the right ventilation you will be OK, but you will reduce the life span. On the other hand if you think about any eletronic device you have ever had break on you, 90% of the time it was at power up on turn on. So leaving it on or not will be your call.

Sys Pic's

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I use my reciever in an armoire and have had no troubles with the doors open (very tight fit.) If you want to close the doors, you could cut out the back of the armoire to allow for ventilation or insall a cooling fan as the previous poster recommended. Whatever you do, don't run an amp in an enclosed space or it will die quickly,

mike.c

Auditioning
1.) If I install a cooling fan, would you recommend that it runs all the time when the receiver is turned on, or that it should run at random times (if that is even possible?

2.) If I cut an opening into the back of the armoire, will that be enough to keep it cool without a fan, or does it need ventiallation from the front?

Thanks!

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
1. It's possible to control a fan via thermostat -- that way it would only kick on at certain temperatures (sort of like your car's radiator fan)... but for an always-on system, an always-on fan might be a better choice. I would say quiet operation should be one of the top priorities in choosing the fan.

2. An opening in the back should be sufficient. Use the fan as an exhaust, i.e. blowing out the back. Armoires typically aren't sealed up, so there should be plenty of nooks/cracks up front for outside air to be drawn through. Try leaving the front of the unit as-is at first. Don't ventilate the front unless it proves to be necessary.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I've been warned about this, but I have my equipment in an armoire, too. My Marantz 7400 can get pretty hot. I try to leave the door open when it's on, but I definitely turn it off when not in use. I've had it for about 14 months now with no problems. When we upgrade to HDTV, we'll be replacing the armoire with an open rack, but I guess I'm taking my chances until then. OTOH, if it gets fried, I guess I'll have an excuse to upgrade my AVR!

Doug

Westly T

Second Unit
I used a basic thermostat from Home Depot to control fans in a previous house where the equipment was all in an in wall cabinet. Worked very well, just get one that can control forced air AC units and it has relay contacts that will close when the temperature goes above the set temperature when set to AC (Not HEAT). You can run a 12V power adapter off the switched outlet on the receiver and run one wire to a 12V fan, the other to the thermostat AC N/O contact. Then from the common contact back to the fan. Set your high temperature and there you go. When ever the temperature exceeds your high temperature the fans will turn on and run till it drops below, usually at least two degrees below and some are selectable for larger ranges. In my case I had the power supply connected directly to power because there were many items running all the time like DVR's and Sat. receivers, The fans ran only when heat built up.

All though it's easier for a fan to push air then suck air, just having it exhaust out the back, preferably near the top of the unit (Heat rises) should do good enough. It would not hurt however to make a small vent cut near the bottom to make it easier for cool air to enter under the receiver and then vent out above it with the help of the fan. Even setting up vents above and below without a fan will help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks