Putting MP3's of my band on my site

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Oct 14, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I was wondering. I have a demo CD of a few songs that my band did in the studio. They aren't our own songs (they are covers), but it is my band that is playing them. I was wondering if I could legally put them on our site to download? I know I can't sell them, but if they are available for free, would that be ok? Or would this be considered marketing?

Any thoughts?

2. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Did you pay the original bands royalty fees before you did the recording?
    My band did a Loverboy cover as a "hidden track" on our first CD. We had to negotiate with the band's management company before we could even think about recording it.
    My suggestion is to contact the management companies to get something settled. It won't cost that much, but it could cost you a lot more if you don't, especially with the way the RIAA is going crazy lately.
    I think we ended up paying something like $50 CAD.

4. MarkHastings

Thanks Mike, the only thing that worries me is that maybe they licensed those songs when they recorded them and have distribution rights.

I wonder what's the worst that could happen if I did make them free to download? I assume if someone had issue, they'd just tell me to take them off at first?

With all this MP3 legallity going around, I'm just a bit worried about getting involved somehow. I'm sure they have apps that scan all the web sites looking for links to MP3's and then investigate what they find.

5. MarkHastings

6. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

I've always wondered about the legal issues surrounding cover songs, so decided to do some Googling.

This is what The Copyright Management Center of Indiana University has to say about securing permission for recording cover songs:

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

So when a band does a cover in a concert they have to pay the original artist?