putting items on top of a projo.. how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I have a toshiba 50H81 and its currently sitting on top of an entertainment center (its not really too high off the ground). i would prefer to have it on ground level and move the entertainment center to another room. I have a question though. I have a yamaha reciever (R-V905). Is that too much weight to put on top of the tv? It SEEMS sturdy enough, but i am fairly new to the projection field, so i need some advice. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Andrew s wells

AHEM...anyone? (echo).......[​IMG]

3. Walt Williams

A couple of years ago I had an older 50" Mitsubishi and I kept 2 receivers, a DVD player, the center channel speaker, and 2 VCRs on top with no problems. I have a newer model now, and the only thing on top of it is the center channel speaker and some miscellaneous anime related knick-knacks. The older TV was built like a house though - I bet it could have supported me!

4. Andrew s wells

so lets see here. Out of a topic that has 99 views at this point, only one person has had things on top of the projection TV? Cmon yall. Show some love here. [​IMG]

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Andrew,
    I have that set, and I've got my JBL N-Center and an amplified antenna sitting on top. My wife decided she'd "decorate" [​IMG] and add a couple of framed photos. That's all and it holds everything well.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I put a 26lbs center speaker on top of my flimsy TW40X81 without an problems (except for the fact it doesn't fit and is actually balanced on -- though it's heaviness actually helps out here.)

7. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

I won't put a receiver there. RPTV top part is just an empty plastic box.

8. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

I have a 36lb center channel on top of my flimsy panasonic.
    I hope she doesnt cave in[​IMG]

9. John_Drake

John_Drake Extra

I have a Toshiba 65HDX82 and I believe it states in the manual (now I will have to go home and check it) not to put anything that gets hot on top of the set. I don't think I would take the chance with anything too heavy either. I wouldn't put an A/V Receiver up there as they tend to be heavy and give off a fair amount of heat. I have my Onkyo Center Channel Speaker on top of mine and that's it.
    I think you might be better off if you were to put your A/V equipment in an A/V rack and stand it next to the set.
    Just my opinion...

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My center channel speaker weighs a ton, so I had to resort to using a black wire rack to hold up the center speaker to relieve any undue stress on the RPTV.