Putting AV components on top of a RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I had a thought today...am I committing a serious no-no by placing the majority of my components on top of my RPTV? I have a Toshiba 56H80 which seems like it has a quite sturdy cabinet, but could this be harmful? I do, at least, have the weight fairly evenly distributed across the top.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I have had components on top of my 56x81 for over a year and half now and no problems at all..I just dont have the room for a component rack because my set sits kitty corner in the corner of the room due to a fireplace....
    ------------------

3. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jason,
    The bulk of the weight of the 56/65 tosh sets is due to the cabinet. The cabinet is solid and rigid. No need to worry about putting a few components on top.
    I wouldn't do this on its sister 40 tosh though as it is the not constructed the same.
    I would highly recommend a separate cabinet though for your components rather than putting them on top of the set. Ideally, you'd want to only put your center speaker on top.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

4. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Thanks for the help, guys!
    Yes, I would very much like to put a cabinet or a rack next to the TV for my components, but I do not have the room at the moment (in an apartment). This is definately something I will do in the near future. Thanks again!