put another one into the bad transfer list from Miramax "the Human Stain"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TonyD, Jul 18, 2004.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i just finished watching.
    i'm still not sure if i like the movie yet.

but if you think the recent releases of cold mountain and the english patient were bad, wait till you see this one.

the EE was so bad it was hard to tell were people faces ended and the backround was.

on a couple shots nicole kidman clearly had 2 noses.

what i might call backwords EE i was seeing the edges of anthony hopkins face inside the "frame" of his face repeated as opposed to outside the frame of his face as EE normally seems to appear.

anyway since there was no review yet i thought i'd pop in with this for the time being until a possible review comes in.

2. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

What is it with Miramax? I thought the transfers for CHICAGO and THE QUIET AMERICAN were also sub-par. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    This is dissapointing, I was going to get this and cold Mountain used for $13, but even at that price I might have to pass. What type of screen are you watching on? I know it's no excuse, but my 27" is pretty forgiving, not that it'll help me when I get a projector.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Put it on the "bad adaptation" list, too. One of my favorite books of the last decade, and one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen.

Don't buy it, rent it, or view it on cable. Instead, go to the library and check-out Roth's brilliant novel.

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Considering how non-linear this and other Roth novels are, as well as how many different characters his stories are told from, I don't see how The Human Stain could be adapted.

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    russell, right there in my sig.

i also just watched "people i know", starring pacino.

this movie must have been on a shelf for more the 3 years. it includes deleted scenes that include the world trade center.
    anyway this is another miramax title that looks terrible.

i have some picks i took with digital camera. i'll try to post them.

7. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
  8. Zachary Cohen

Zachary Cohen Stunt Coordinator

That is absolutely horrid. When will Miramax realize that there are many people who watch DVDs that do not use 20" screens?

Forget that. Edge enhancement like this is noticeable even on smaller screens. I saw "Giant" (WB title, but it's still relative) on a 27" screen sitting relatively far away and it is very distracting.

Why don't they just leave the real detail instead of filtering it out and then 'enhancing' it?

9. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    A "Gangs of New York" and "Cold Mountain" scenario here, it seems. As regards "Gangs.." people in R2 & R4 seemed to like their version better, but I never read if anyone was able to actually directly compare them to see if the non-R1 transfers were any better.

I would very much like to know. The only review I saw for the R2 Cold Mountain seemed to like it too. I wonder if that is different.

10. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I thought it was ok on our 50". Not the best, but not distracting as some. The premise of the story was a bit of a stretch with the actors involved.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

"A bit of a stretch" is putting it mildly, but please don't hold this film against the novel. Unlike the movie, the novel is so worth your time. For me, it's the late-20th Century equivalent to "The Great Gatsby". And as poor as the "Gatsby" film adaptation is (Redford), it's positively brilliant next to the "Stain" adaptation.