Put 5-1/4" Audio Discs Out Of Their Misery Entirely

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Stone, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

Here's an interesting read:
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2076336/
    This would be a huge step in the right direction IMHO. High resolution music that you could literally take with you anywhere! As we are all well aware, storage capacity is only going to increase in leaps and bounds so why not take full advantage of it?

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

This guys seems to be ignoring a few things. First, DVD was made the same size as CDs so the players were backwards compatible. Thus the manufacturers figured that would be an extra bonus to bring in more sales since some people don't want a huge stack of components. Consequently DVD-Audio and SACDs were done the same, backwards compatibity. That's why we still have this disc size. I wonder if part of the reason MiniDisc never took off was because it required new hardware that wasn't backwards compatible with CDs.

Second, how small is to small? Sure CompactFlash and other memory cards have upwards of a 1GB. But would you want to have a collection of a few hundred of those? Think how small the writing and cover art would be? Think how easy it would be to lose those. How would stores prevent theft when they have enough theft with CDs already?

IMHO there's room for multiple formats. I listen to my CDs and DVD-Audio at home, and I use my Nomad when I want portability. Sure it requires extra effort on my part, but it works out well for me. Hopefully as firewire creeps into the home A/V realm it will be easy to download your favorite songs to a portable device, though I won't be holding my breath for that one.