What's new

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought this was great. I don't want to say too much before the wide release when everyone can see it, but this was just so satisfying and is a big recommendation from me for sure.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The soundtrack is now out digitally. The score was composed by Heitor Pereira. He is a new composer for this franchise. Harry Gregson-Williams worked on the Shrek films, while Henry Jackman did the first Puss in Boots film. Pereira has scored the Despicable Me and Minions movies (also produced by Chris Meladandri.)

Pereira did a good job with this score and I do like it. The movie also includes a song that I haven't been able to get out of my head since the sneak preview screening after Thanksgiving.

But I wanted to mention that there is a spoiler in one of the track titles. So if you haven't seen the movie early, be careful to avoid the soundtrack for the time being.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is a good interview with director Joel Crawford, co-director Januel Mercado, sound editor Jason W. Jennings, and supervising sound editor/re-recording mixer Julian Slater talking about the sound design for the film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw this a second time today (after the sneak preview last month.)

I am happy to say it holds up and was just as much fun the second time around. Highly recommended.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I made a liar out of myself. I said I probably wouldn't go to the theatre to see this, but I did.

The film turned out to be pretty good. In fact, I think it is probably the best film of the entire franchise. The stereoscopic work on the film is some of the best I''ve seen.

It is a drag that I won't be able to get this on 3D blu-ray because it would be an automatic purchase if it was released. Watching this film in 2D at home would cause it to lose something.

Great installment in the Shrek universe. A+ in my book.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Watching this film in 2D at home would cause it to lose something.
I can't speak to the 3D presentation and don't mean to devalue it for you. But I saw the movie in 2D twice and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I was emotionally invested in what happens to the characters, and the film was gorgeous to watch.

I agree with your assessment of the film itself, too. I absolutely loved it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't speak to the 3D presentation and don't mean to devalue it for you. But I saw the movie in 2D twice and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I was emotionally invested in what happens to the characters, and the film was gorgeous to watch.

I agree with your assessment of the film itself, too. I absolutely loved it.
From a story standpoint it wouldn't lose anything if seen in 2D. I basically watch the 3D version of theatrical releases because they are no longer available in home releases. The 2D version is always going to be available.

Since I mostly watch the 3D versions, if available, I get a pretty good crossection of kind of stereoscopic work that is done. For this release the stereoscopic work is above average. I don't normally pick up on forward projection in a lot of 3D films. I'm always aware of the edges of the screen so a lot of forward projection just doesn't work for me. I can't say that for this film. There was some good forward projection in this film and one scene in particular really struck me with Puss's sword sticking out. It really did stick out in an impressive way. It reminded me of the type of 3D that I saw at the IMAX pavilion at. EXPO 86 in Vancouver. There is very little 3D that has struck me like that, including Cameron's AVATAR.

Also, the action sequences in the film looked good in 3D with the strobing effect they used. It was like a form of limited animation but not in the traditional sense.

That is why visually this film will lose something for me if I can only seei it flat, but I also don't have any issue with resolving 3D films while there are plenty of people who can't. It just bothers me that I'll be stuck with a home presentation that will always be inferior.to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We watched this Friday night. The film was pretty good, but didn't care for the shift in animation style for the action/fight scenes in the style of Spider-Verse. Dreamworks also used this for The Bad Guys. Didn't care for the style there, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks