Pushups causing severe headaches.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Before Christmas I started doing pushups every other night to start to get back into shape. Ever since the weekend I have been getting severe headaches while doing them as well as when I do my daily wrist strengthening exercises. Is this normal? What could be the cause? Otherwise I never get headaches.

jeremy

2. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

I'd take a look at your blood pressure for starters. I'd probably see a doctor, too just to be sure.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Maybe you're overdeveloping your "pushup muscles" at the expense of the others? You're probably putting much more stress on your neck muscles as a result!

Hopefully that's all it is and not a blood pressure problem mentioned already!

See a doctor!

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    This may sound like I'm being facetious, but are you breathing properly? When exercising, a lot of people have a tendency to hold their breath while exerting energy.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, make sure you dont hold your breath when doing them.. when exerting force, always breath OUT... So when you push UP, breath out, going down breath in...

6. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the doctor then. Although its much better now I have had back problems before. General ones since high school and then a few car accidents made it worse.

With the pushups the pain doesn't come right until the end when I'm squeezing out the last few. I've gone from 15 to 35 in five weeks doing one set every two or three nights.

jeremy

7. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Maybe try to break it up into sets, giving yourself a couple minutes in between each set. 3 sets might work, see if this helps.