What's new

Pushing Daisies Season 1 thread (2 Viewers)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I enjoyed last nights episode, but not as much as Pie-lette.

I sat there in a panic while watching due to the fact that Ned and Chuck always stand so close to eachother and I am afraid they will end up bumping into eachother. There were a few instances where I thought Chuck was 2 seconds from death. I think the writers need to be more aware of their spaces. That is going to drive me crazy with this show.

The dandilion car storyline was not as interesting as I thought it could have been. I think the way they resolved the crime was a bit underwhelming. Car chase takes place, bad guy runs out of gas and police just happen to show up? Not buying it. They should have come up with a much better ending to this show.

I did enjoy the random little facts we learned about some of the characters. I loved hearing "Hopelessly devoted". It was a bit out of place, but I think this show is going to have weird off beat moments like that, which is okay with me.

I still just absolutely love the whole Ned and Chuck vibe. It is so sweet and so sad at the same time. All those strange little moments like Ned holding his own hand, or having Emerson hug Chuck for him or how they kissed through the body bags. I just love it.

So I still really like this show and I really hope it does well in ratings, because I think the writers have something great here.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the very same when I saw them together in scenes. I really like the quirkiness of this show. Unfortuneately, quickiness usually doesn't add up to big enough ratings numbers to keep a show on the air. I hope enough people are watching this shos to give it a chance to survive at least an entire season.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I know! :laugh: It was terrifying actually to see them stand so close, I kept wanting to gasp and cover my eyes! And yes the show seems to forget Ned and Chuck's close proximity, they need to watch that because it's frankly scaring the shit out of me lol.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

Count me in as someone else who is overly distracted by the show's nonchalance about their proximity. And no worries, I don't think it was possible to not have weird thoughts after seeing that glove attachment in the modified car.

Another solid episode, all in all. Next week's episode looks like it's going to tackle some issues that I was hoping they would address - namely, the Funeral Home Director's death & the inevitability of Olive discovering Chuck's 'condition' and doing her best to get Ned to touch Olive. That last part is my prediction but mark my words, it seems headed in that direction. If the writers find another, less predictable way out, I'll be impressed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
They must be setting up something with the Kristen Chenowerth character. Given how much time they spend with her and her touching obsession, somethings up!:) My guess is they might use her as a surrogate for Chuck, in the figurative sense.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think this is my favorite show on television right now (especially since I lost access to the CW network).

And I, too, am obsessed with how close Ned and Chuck seem to come to touching all the time. I swear Ned brushed Chuck when he was clearing the plates from the booth last night. Chuck was leaning forward against the table as Ned reached in to grab her plate. When they reversed the shot, Chuck was leaning back away from the table so maybe someone on the set was like, "Um...maybe there should be a little more space between them?" ;)

I don't see how they can possibly maintain this "not-touching" thing between the two for multiple seasons (if it lasts). Between all the potential for accidental touching, and that Olive and Emerson would both like to get rid of Chuck once and for all, it seems like it would verge on the ridiculous to keep them apart for more than a few episodes. Especially as Chuck seems rather blase about the whole thing, calling "shotgun" and such, when she knows the potential consequences.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I get the same stress from the dog. How can he even be around the dog? How do you keep him from brushing against you or jumping up on you?

Also, has it been stated that keeping an animal alive more than a minute will cause the death of another animal? or could it cause a human to die? When he touched all the frogs, how did he know that all his classmates werent going to start dropping dead?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I think Sonnenfeld was keenly aware of their spaces and putting the screws to the audience a little. I had to laugh at the huddle when they were looking down at the dummys.

It was entertaining, but a big drop from the pilot. Nothing could have been that good, I guess. The musical number had me cringing at first, but it was so well staged and performed that it quickly won me over.

Great to see Prof. Landry. I've now seen him on Veronica Mars, Joan of Arcadia, and this, and he has never failed to be excellent.

Good to see we're going to get flashbacks here and there, and the gun cozies were about the funniest thing I've ever seen. The knitting gag was well-played throughout.

"Do they ever touch?"

"I wish they would."

:laugh:

I think I had too high expectations, and was probably a little tired when I started this, which accounted for my feeling that it was a drop. I should have kept the recording, because I have a feeling I would absolutely love it a second time. It is filled with greatness when I think back on it. I may scope out the online replay.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thought yesterday's episode was entertaining. Definetly not as good as the pilot. Some observations that I agree with that was already mentioned, first Chuck I thought was hovering too close and I thought at one time the hands were going to touch by mistake. Next the plot was ok but it had that weird like Monk feel to it. The position of the glove does raises eyebrows. My wife actually watched most of it and didn't think it was too bad.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Among other things, I appreciate the show's focus on cleavage.

Ned and Chuck get way too close all the time -- jumping into that pit was very dangerous -- but obviously they can't touch, because then the show would be over. I figure Chuck is safe, at least for the first 13 episodes :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Amen! I love Chuck.

I'm sort of split on this show. It looks great, but I wonder how
long the "gimmick" can be sustained. The one thing that does keep
this show afloat more than anything else is the dialogue which is
always witty and clever. Loved the "skeletons in the closet" line.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
The worst scene for me (regarding Ned and Chuck almost touching) was when they smashed those monkeys together. If you watch it back in slow mo.... OMG, it looks like they touch. Freaks me out.

I have rewatched the pilot as well as Dummy over a few times now and I still really think this show is on to something. I think the writers will be able to make it work for multiple seasons.

*what would make this show really funny as far as musical numbers go, would be to see Olive sing Toucha Toucha Touch Me from Rocky Horror!*

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Great second episode. Loved how quirky and funny and touching it was and loved the dance with the dog and floor cleaner guy. Hopelessly Devoted to you was wonderful.
It came in second after Deal or No Deal which is still crap in my book but at least Pushing Daisies did well.
I dont really get why people are so nervous about the two of them touching. It's not going to happen or the show is over.
Relax. :)
This and Aliens in America are clearly the two best comedies of the season.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
An interesting thing I think I may have caught from the last episode:

Note that when Ned brought the frogs back to life in boarding school and didn't touch all of them within a minute, the creatures that died as a result were birds. Whenever he's done this with humans it resulted in humans dying. I think this indicates that him failing to re-kill something within a minute results in the death of another creature of similar size or type.

i.e. his failure to re-kill the fly probably killed a moth, his failure to re-kill his dog probably killed a cat, his failure to re-kill a strawberry probably killed a grape.

So it would follow that he could not kill a human by failing to re-kill a fly or frog or strawberry, it would have to be another human.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps all this fear of Chuck and Ned touching is a good sign, you really like these two together. Good cheat using plastic as an insulator for Ned's power.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

Of course we get that, but the fact is, it doesn't make me any less nervous knowing that. They stand waaaaaaay too close for my own sanity.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mine too. It escapes me what entertainment value people find in watching the dumbass-of-the-moment open randomly picked suitcases. I assume someone else must own the copyright to "Watching Paint Dry" and will be debuting that during the mid-season.

I'd much rather watch a well-written, well-acted series with an actual entertaining plot. But, hey, that's just me.

I asked my parents if they liked the show. Ended up they only watched the second half of the first episode and thought all the voice-over narration was dumb. :rolleyes

On the upside, it may have come in second to picking suitcases, but it was #1 in the favored demographics.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Count me in!!

I think a lot of people are getting a bit OCD about the touching. I can't believe it never seemed to occur to most of you that the creators are messing with you. Hook, line and sinker. With all the outright crap all over TV, it's disappointing that this show is held under such a microscope by so many people. It's a fantasy. Go with it. Ron mentioned the dialog, which really is great. When I see all the unimaginitive dialog out there on TV. For some reason, I watched the premier of The Women's Murder Club last night, and Angie Harmon actually had the line "You're under arrest for pissing me off" as she slapped the cuffs on someone. I doubt anyone will be so harsh on that crappy show though.

As far as Hopelessly Devoted goes, I was glad to see Kristin get to sing in anything viewed outside Broadway. They should do it every episode, just to add to the quirkiness and use her to fuller potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks