Pursued - how's the transfer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Did anyone pick up Pursued today? It's an Artisan DVD. Great film. How's the transfer?

Thanks.

Gordy

2. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Gordon:

Got my copy today, watched it tonight. I'd rate the transfer as fair to good (1947 film, dirt, scratches, and at least one instance of distortion but for the price and the relative chances that this film will ever "merit" the attention of an "A" list property like Kane, not a bad deal, I recommend you give it a chance). It wouldn't surprise me too much if the "restoration" work done on the film was originally done for the 'Martin Scorsese Presents' VHS release.

I generally do not care for mono soundtracks converted to "surround" and this was no exception, I switched to mono almost immediatly.

The copy on the back of the DVD is good for a snigger...Robert Mitchum plays an "jaded Civil War hero", must've been the Spanish Civil War [​IMG].

As you probably know, a couple of reviews have been posted,

here and
    here

Lastly, really appreciate the cinematography of Howe, really outstanding!

Tim

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm going to try to watch my dvd of it this weekend. I always loved this film and couldn't believe my eyes when I read it was coming out on dvd because it wasn't a very well-known film.

Crawdaddy

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Tim! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought I would have received the disc today, but it didn't. [​IMG]

But All That Heaven Allows: Criterion and Being There did! [​IMG]

Chancy (a career-best Sellers): "I like to watch."

Gay political guy: "Oh... I get Warren!"

[​IMG]

Too funny.

Thanks again,

Gordy

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Actually, it was the Spanish-American War.

Last night, I watched the dvd and was somewhat surprised that the dvd looked as good as it did while knowing Artisan's reputation for the lack of quality in many of their Republic dvd releases. Sure, the dvd had some rough spots, but overall the video presentation was better than I thought it would be since this movie wasn't a well-known film. Robert Mitchum has always been a favorite of mine and this western/film noir is a pretty good film. Also, Teresa Wright was a cutie.

Crawdaddy

6. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Crawdaddy:

Yes, I'd gladly accept transfers of this quality for Blood On The Moon & The Gunfighter to name a couple of other "cult" western titles.

Would be interested to know if the restoration work was that done for Scorsese's VHS series and whether if there are any implications for additional releases from that series.

Tim

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Gordy

Which dvd site did you buy this one ?

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Oscar. I order Pursued from Play 24/7

Play normally get all their region 1 DVDs in advance of the street date, but Artisan stock normally takes a few days to arrive, hence the "Out now, waiting for delivery of stock" bit. £10.99 is a pretty fair deal, I'd say. I have noticed that Play don't seem to be stocking the newer Criterion titles - no Solaris, Monterey Pop and no pre-order on Fear And Loathing - weird. www.cd-wow.com are cheaper for Criterion anyway. But one thing puzzled me last week; I ordered the two brilliant Douglas Sirk films, All That Heaven Allows and Written On The Wind and the former had a Swedish post-mark on it and the latter, a Hong Kong post-mark - strange. Why do you think that would be? Fast delivery though. Most Criterion 'special editions' are £21.99 at CD-Wow. I think that is a reasonable price. I can't wait for the Fear And Loathing DVD! I've been reading The Great Shark Hunt's many great Gonzo adventures again latley - insane stuff! [​IMG]

See you around,

Gordy

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi Gordy

I had the same thing with my Brazil dvd from cd wow that came from Sweden. I think this is only for their boxsets. I could be wrong though. If you are after Brazil from CDWOW, it has been taken off the schedule, so I suppose it is Out of Stock

I also read over at the UKDVDforums that this is to prevent you from overcharging dvds that are over £ 18

With regards to Pursued, I should have realised it was Play

Cheers

Oscar