What's new

Purple line on CRT screen. Advice? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just purchased a Samsung TXN2668WHF. This is a WS HD set. When the set is idle and the screen is black--such as when between FBI warnings and menus when playing a DVD, there is a thin violet line that runs along the very left-hand side of the screen. When there is content on the screen, the line disappears.

Should I be worried? Should I exchange the set? Is there an adjustment to be made?

Outside of this, I am VERY happy with the set. Picture is :emoji_thumbsup:

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Taking into account that I can't actually see the problem, here's my guess: sounds like it might be something defective either in the cabling or in the set that is exaggerated by an overly strong dynamic picture or DC restoration circuit in the TV's service menu. The line itself might be caused by faulty cables or bad cable routing; does the line disappear when you change inputs? If so, try replacing the cables in question and make sure they don't run right along side any AC power cables. It might also be something defective in the set.
The fact that it is violet might be an indication that your grayscale is not accurate at the low end (20 IRE and below). The fact that it's only visible when the picture is blank suggests poor DC restoration or an overly aggressive Dynamic Picture circuit in the TV's service menu.
If it's not your cables or some sort of interference, I'd take the set back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, Chad! Thanks for the detailed response. I suppose cabling could very much be the issue. The set is currently rather haphazardly set-up in my living room while I put the finishing touches on the cabinet which will become its final home. This will take place in the next day or so and I will report back. I will be detaching all my components and reconfiguring them. I will report back on my success or lack thereof.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, does this phenomenon appear, as Chad asked, with all video sources? What kind of cables and interconnects are you using?

About the set's grayscale tracking, my colleague Michael TLV says the Samsung direct-view sets are "all over the place."

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It might also be some extranneous video noise perhaps? Doesn't sound like it is, but maybe it is, which would require overscan adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks