1. I'm guessing that most readers of this board are deal seekers with sizable DVD collections.

If you want to amass a good collection you almost have to fight for every buck or you'll wind up with few programs for the same investment.

I'm not complaining, I've gotten some great deals over the years.

But there were a couple of cases where better judgement did not prevail...

Since I had bought the classics on LD previously, I felt a bit burned and held off on DVD longer than most movie fans.

I didn't even get a DVD player till 2001 and was mostly lured-in by cheap used movies in $10-12 range.

The first 'new' movie I bought was 'The Man in the Iron Mask' which was only $8.99 even at Mall prices!

OK, so what was my most wasteful purchase?

Well, there were two movies that I *really* wanted but couldn't find used anywhere: Conan CE and ST: First Contact.

At some point, I gave up looking and just headed over to Best Buy.

ST 1 had already been reissued but I knew it would take years to reissue FC and the transfer would be the same anyway.

Both movies were about $27 each (a figure that now boggles the mind and even then I thought it was incredibly high).

Two movies for $60 with tax, Good Lord...

Later, 'First Contact' was marked down to $19.99 and a used copy turned up for $10 (groan).

I never did see a used copy of Conan CE (thankfully), but it did get marked down to $14.99 and was bundled with Conan 2 for $20.

The fact that Conan CE R4 (?) was remastered in 5.1 sound is also a bit of salt in the wound.

So there you have it, my most regrettable purchases.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I paid $40 ON SALE for Goldeneye on laserdisc!
    Also paid $40 each for the first 3 Nightmare on Elm Streets from Elite when I heard they were going off the market. Later bought the DVD box set for less than $100.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I can't count the number of times I've kicked myself over a disc I bought new, only to find it used a few weeks later.

I paid a hefty price (don't remember exactly how much) for Rock n Roll High School on eBay, then it was reissued a few months later. Ditto for Army of Darkness director's cut.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

See, I know this has happened to me several times, and I know I'm always filled with rage whenever the discovery is made. I was eager to post something in this thread when I first saw the title...and now...nothing, I can't remember 1 specific example at all. I guess 1 recent 1 was the Alien Quad set, I bought it for something like $84, and DDD had it for $58 with free shipping thanks to that 20 percent off deal, but not having a credit card or faximily there of, there wasn't much I could do.

6. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I paid ... something, for Disney's "Tarzan and Jane." That was definitely too much.

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I paid close to MSRP for 3 movies at Target or something only to find ALL THREE at a pawn shop for $7 each the next week.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    As I recall, I paid $200 for Song of the South on laserdisc.

- Steve

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

....my, oh my, what a wonderful day! [​IMG]

10. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Hi Steve ... I thought you had fallen off the planet over the past yr. Nice to see you back at HTF.

Was that the Japanese LD of SotS. IIRC it was in English with Japanese subtitles that could not be turned off right?

I would bet that you could still eBay that baby today for nearly what you pd for it. That rare LD & a nice DVD Recorder would be an interesting combo ... not that I'm suggesting anything in violation of "fair use" mind you ..........

UPDATE: OK ... maybe not quite what you pd for it.

Scott

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

Been there, done that. [​IMG]

The price was competitive with eBay at the time I bought it...plus, it was a local dealer--no muss, no fuss, no shipping or handling.

- Steve

12. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The problem is - Song of the South on Ebay, as well as piles of other LD's, are not going for what they used to. Song of the South used to go for $200-$250 consistently. Now, you'd be very lucky to get the lower price, and you might not even get a hundred bucks.

My most ridiculous purchase was the Schindler's List LD box set. List was $140-$150; I got it for a bit over $100. This would have been a deal except that there was nothing in the set that made it worth even half my discounted price. The LD was the same one available seperately and had no disc supplements. The only extras was a paperback book of Schindler's List, the soundtrack cd and a rather nice, but not very extensive, insert. A true ripoff.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Just curious -- what average cost price could one get LDs for with a 'good' code back in those days?

14. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I started only buying movies and tv shows that I really, really like and that I know will get the use.

I used to buy many, but have really narrowed it down. It just started to seem silly to me to buy a bunch of movies that would only be viewed once or twice.

So, if I get taken for a few dollars, it really doesnt phase me all that much because the item got the use.

15. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I paid $139 (MSRP) for "Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues".I needed it that day. It can be had for $83.99 on line. I'm going to buy it on-line after the holidays and bring it back to the B&M for a refund.

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

When CompUSA was getting out of the DVD business they had a sale where all their discs were $14.99. They had a bunch of titles that I wanted and bought them only to find that 1) some though shrinkwrapped had clearly been opened and fondled previously 2) some were already available for under $14.99 already (call it an anti-David Lambert moment) and 3) subsequently almost all of them have ended up in the $5.88 bins. [​IMG]

17. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

The first home theater speakers I ever bought were Bose.

'Nuff said!

18. CH had some crazy system where you could buy stuff and earn bonus points (to be used for reducing full price movies).

By the time LD went bust, I had like a hundred + unused points...

I would have been better off waiting for DVD, but that was the early 90's.

And I do love some of my old LDs due to huge gatefold photos.

Average movie price was $25-$35 for regular releases (not CAV boxsets).

19. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I paid for Charlies Angels[​IMG]