Purchasing new speakers... questions and suggetions?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_Black, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Mike_Black

Mike_Black Extra

I am unsure how to proceed with upgrading my current speakers. At the very least I need to purchase new rear channels and a new center. My current front speakers are Infinity RS-5 which I am very happy with but will eventually upgrade.

I am looking at some relatively higher end speakers when purchasing the new center/rear's..I have been looking at paradigm, b&w, athena, totem, rockets..My question is, how will this affect my setup if say, I purchase the rocket speakers, in conjunction with my current infinity rs-5. Would be better off using the Infinity's as my rears for now, and just upgrading the fronts and center? What issues would I maybe encounter with having the differant types of speakers in the setup.

Any help here would be great [​IMG]

Mike

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Mike, if it were me, I’d decide what setup I wanted in the end—and if you are looking to go a bit more on the higher end than your Infinitys, and can’t afford (or don’t want to spend everything at the same time) to upgrade everything at the same time, you must resign yourself to some timbre mismatches along the way.

The best way to minimize timbre mismatches it to have the same family up front—don’t worry too much about the surrounds at first.

This argues for purchasing R/L mains and a center instead of surrounds and a center. If you take this approach, you can move your RS5s to the rear. Then replace the surrounds. This would be my first choice, but if an immediate purchase of all three fronts is not in your budget, there are a couple of approaches that will provide for satisfactory results (with some compromise). The first is to just buy a new center and keep everything else as it is. This will mean that your front speakers will not be timbre matched, so you will want to replace your R/L mains as soon as you can. This approach caters to your identified biggest need: a new center, but it has the timbre issues as a drawback. Personally, you just need to decide how fast you will have sufficient additional funds and how long you are willing to live with the problem.

The other way to solve this problem is to replace your main speakers first. Get some a pair of R/L front speakers, move the RS5s to the read and discard your center completely. Use the ‘phantom’ center channel approach until you can afford a new center speaker. If you are getting some of the better models from your list, the Paradigm, B&W and Rockets will all produce very satisfactory results (I’ve never heard Totem so I can’t comment and I think that the Athena center is not a speaker of the caliber of some of the others, especially the Rocket 200).

Then get a good center when you can afford it. This approach will eliminate any timbre mismatch up front. Finally replace your surround speakers.

My very strong belief is that for HT, the center speaker is the most important. So my preferred approach is around this speaker.

Good luck and have fun.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter