1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing my first reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisT, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ChrisT

ChrisT Auditioning

Hello, I'm a highschool student and I've been searching around for a reliable low-end receiver. I currently have a make-shift 6.1 setup running off a 5.1 Sony minisystem; it's not pretty. I have multiple speakers in the stronger channels since the wattage on a few of them is extremely weak. I know the under-wattage is slowly killing my speakers at high volumes so it's time for a real receiver.

I've been looking at the Kenwood VR-806, mostly because it offers ProLogic IIx and there is quite a price jump between that and other receivers with that same feature. I'm still in school and have an extremely limited bugdet (staying at or around $200 is the goal here). I mostly listen to music (primarily rock, metal, and jazz) however I would like to have something to accent the occasional anime/movie showing. I really like this Kenwood, so I was wondering if there is something particularly bad about the model and/or why it's so much cheaper than other receivers with similar features (i.e. the Pioneer VSX-D814K).

2. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

There are many reasons for the price difference. Quality of the parts is one reason. Different receivers produce different sound. The reproduction quality of the ProLogics & DTS is also an issue. Watts/channel is also a issue. You can Google real-world tests and see that many low-end recievers are not even close to their own stats. It gets even worse when you start adding more channels.

In retrospect, I too grew up on Kenwood products and loved them. It maybe fine for what you want it to do. If your going to blow something up, it's better that its $200. Its like computers, you don't learn till you blow it up.

One thing that may also help is going with used or demo products (B-Stock)directly from the manufacturers or an authorized dealer. They may have a blemish here or there. but have the same warranties.

Here is a good article on 3 recievers in your price range. They were $300 last year.
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

J

3. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

I second going with the "used" market. EBay can be a great place to start. I sold my Yamaha on there for about $150 last year and that is still a great receiver.

An even better place is: audiogon.com

Goodluck in your search.

4. ChrisT

ChrisT Auditioning

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Kenwood. Hopefully it'll work out, and if it doesn't then I haven't lost much money anyways.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

www.crutchfield.com has the 806 "Refurbished" for $159.99 but I would also take a look at the Sherwood RD-7108 that www.jandr.com has delivered for $155.40 The Sherwood got a pretty good review by S&V Mag.