What's new

Purchasing first Blu-ray player questions? (2 Viewers)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
You can calibrate the sub to 75dB if you wish. A lot of people (myself included) will calibrate the sub 5-10 dB hot which would put it at 80 - 85dB. It really boils down to what sounds best to your ears.

You will still want to use a proper calibration disc since the equipment-generated test tones may be different than what the player outputs while playing the disc.

For example, I can play the player-generated tones from my HD-DVD player and they are different levels than the tones output from a calibration disc played on that same HD-DVD player.

T r o y

Supporting Actor

Clinton: So you're saying go ahead and tweak/calibrate the audio test tones once the Sony is connected using one of the audio/video calibration discs available instead of the actual tones generated by the S550 ?
Again as far as my sub goes, there is a setting on the yamaha that you can set to -10db , I believe. But probably to see how it sounds initially, I'll set it to the 75 - 85 db range.

Thanks
TroyH

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Troy,

Are you sure that's not a +10db boost on your Yamaha, as opposed to a -10db attenuation on the sub channel? My Pioneer Elite receiver has a setting for a +10db boost on the multi-channel sub input, and I in fact need it to get the sub channel level with the others on my Sony SACD player, which is connected to my multi-channel inputs.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Scott, I'll double check that. It's been awhile since I've gone into my yamaha speaker level menus. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I "actually" have the Sony hooked up.

Regards,
Troy

Use the multianalog connections to decode the HD audio codecs into your 'older'receiver which cannot do this via bitstream----make sure you press the multichannel button on your receiver----your receiver is not processing the sound thru the multis----your player is doing the decoding or processing----and, to get 7.1 HD Surround when your playing a 5.1 DTS-MA, Dolby Tru, or DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS, when have to switch the normal setting of your SBS to BI-AMP---if you have a 7.1 older receiver with 8 mult-analog inputs---if its just a 5.1 receiver, just make sure, in the audio settings of your player, your surround back channel is switched to 'off'

Use the multianalog connections to decode the HD audio codecs into your 'older'receiver which cannot do this via bitstream----make sure you press the multichannel button on your receiver----your receiver is not processing the sound thru the multis----your player is doing the decoding or processing----and, to get 7.1 HD Surround when your playing a 5.1 DTS-MA, Dolby Tru, or DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS, when have to switch the normal setting of your SBS to BI-AMP---if you have a 7.1 older receiver with 8 mult-analog inputs---if its just a 5.1 receiver, just make sure, in the audio settings of your player, your surround back channel is switched to 'off'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyhoward63@g
Recent bookmarks