Purchasing demo Paradigms

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PeterKurpiewski, Sep 11, 2003.

1. PeterKurpiewski

Hey all. I've been looking at my local HT store (Sound City, you can google for their site) and they have really wonderful prices on their demo Atoms ($100.02) and ADP-70s ($158.87). I'm wondering about what to listen or look for when considering buying demo speakers. They also have a pair of Phantoms for only $30 more than the Atoms so would I see enough of an improvement to merit the additional $30?Considering I need to afford a reciever, center and sometime in the future, a sub, I'm tempted to jump on these prices to get my HTS started up.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That's a pretty good price for Atoms (I got mine for $113), but for $30, there is an obvious and large difference between the Phantoms and the Atoms. If you don't mind floorstanders, for the price, I'd say the Phantoms are the way to go, and Atoms as surrounds? (I'm not a fan of the bi-di surrounds). You will be able to get by for a while without a sub with the Phantoms.

If they sound correct, that should be all you need to know. I've bought plenty of demo speakers without issue.

If they have demo Monitor series for decent prices, I'd opt for those instead.

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Can you audition them at the store? If you can buy what sounds the best to you. If you are not using them with a sub I'd go with the Phantoms. The Phantoms and the Atoms are both great sounding speakers, so in my opinion so can't go wrong.

4. PeterKurpiewski

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to head down there on Saturday to give 'em a go and see which I like. The promise of not having to get a sub for awhile with the Phantoms is good, because with school and all, I can't get all that much work in.

5. PeterKurpiewski

I wanted to add on a quick question and not make another thread, so I'll toss it here. If I mount my Paradigm Atoms in the rear, do they need to be facing the listening area at an angle? The easiest way for them to be mounted in my room is: x-> |______|

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On the side walls facing in or on the rear wall? They will work fine in either setup, and should not be pointed directly at the listener in any case, but you'll have to experiment a little before you mount them.

7. PeterKurpiewski

They'd be on the side walls facing in as the rear wall is used up by a bookshelf and a couple pictures/diplomas. I suppose it will be all about testing, testing, and testing some more. Also, do you or anyone else know any good ways of temp. mounting them on a wall?

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is the correct mounting position for surrounds. Ideally a bit higher than ear level, and somewhere directly beside the listening position, to a little bit behind, maybe a foot or so, aimed across (and above) the listening position at each other. You can see Dolby's recommended placement guidelines on their website...I tried to link... but it's not obvious, and i'm not that patient to hunt for it, sorry [​IMG].

Anyway, here's the quote from dolby:

"Preferred surround speaker placement:
    The surround speakers should be placed alongside and slightly to the rear of (but
    not behind) the prime seating position (Figure 8); well above ear level, to help
    minimize localization effects (Figure 9); and aimed directly across the listening
    area, not down at the listeners (Figure 10). This arrangement creates a diffuse,
    enveloping surround soundfield throughout the listening area, like that in cinemas
    and in the dubbing theaters where soundtracks are mixed. If the speakers are too far
    forward, you won’t get sufficient rearward effect, and if the speakers are too far
    back, there will be a loss of envelopment and integration of the surround
    information with the whole soundfield."