What's new

Purchasing Dealer Demos (1 Viewer)

BrianPk

Auditioning
When a dealer sells a demo unit and says there are X amount of hours (in this case very low hours) on the receiver is there any way to verify it? Would it be advisable to simply stay away from dealer demo units if the usage can’t be verified or are there good questions to ask? Thanks.

Brian

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
No you cannot verify the hours on a receiver. The fact that it has hours (even many) is not a bad thing. Electronics tend to fail early. If it has made is past ninety days of use and still performs flawlessly the odds are that it will not have a problem. If the price is good and you get a full warranty there is no need to worry further. Regards.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
I always buy demos and used stuff.

In the past 2 years I have bought:

Adcom 555 2ch amp Used from dealer
Adcom 2535 3ch amp Used - Ebay
Lexicon DC-1 processor Used from dealer
Velodyne HGS12 Series Used from dealer
B&W CCR6 Center speaker Dealer demo
QEF 1.5 speakers Dealer closeout

The dealer I use gives a 90day warranty on everything used and got 2 year speaker warranty on the speakers. I also get trade up capablility. I can bring anything back within 30 days - no questions asked.

Gets me better equipment at less than half price.

Tim

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
Warranty is the key when buying demos. My dealer lets me know up front that if there are ANY problems with what I purchase, they'll make good on it. They now have a VERY loyal customer who's been going back and sending friends as new customers for nearly 5 years.

Pam

Dan D Burke

Agent
I recently bought a Denon 682 for $249 that was a demo. Even got them to throw in a 5 year extended warranty. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I will look for demo stuff first. When I find something the first thing I look for is scratches, dings, dents and other signs of abuse. If it looks beat up I stay away from it.

I don't really worry about hours or it's usage but rather how it works and looks.

Mark.D

Agent
Whenever I buy an expensive piece of AV equipment, I ALWAYS leave it running for 2 weeks straight... that doesnt mean you have to jam on the volume or anything, just let it do its thing for 2 weeks 24hr/day and you'll find out soon enough if it has faulty wiring.

M.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Also some that are called 'demo's' may have just been display or floor models and not been used at all. I just bought a HK 320 display model for $399 which had a few clues that it may never have actually been even plugged in. Circuit City gives full manufacturer warranties...on everything I've ever bought anyway. I've bought my current AVR 320, in addition to an HK HD7600II CD player and a very nice HK TD4400 Cassette Deck, all at around half their original cost and have never had problems with any of them.
I've also bought floor model Klipsch KG5.2's from Goodguys....paid $350 for the pair which included paying $40 extra for a 10 yr warranty. I've had those for around 6 yrs and they're still my main speakers. Those originally sold for around $800 a pair I believe. It's a good way to get much better equipment than you could ever afford, or want to pay anyway, for new gear.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The dealer I buy from makes sure that you get the full Manufacturer's Warranty on the demo gear he sells.

I purchased a demo receiver that was 'on' whenever the store was open and I had no qualms about purchasing it. If it failed, then I had the full warranty to fall back on with the support of the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks