What's new

Purchasing advise for a receiver + speaker upgrade (1 Viewer)

AndreasMB

Auditioning
Currently my HT / stereo is very in the budget street, since I'm a poor student and all. However, I've fallen in love with the nautilus 805 ever since I gave it a listen, and because of the fact that they're not THAT expensive. I'm just curious what prize range and what brands / models should I aim for in a surround receiver if I were to use it as a 2 speakers + sub system. I don't think I can go a whole lot above $750 for the receiver. Should I forget about the 805s and go for something that doesn't require such expensive electronics?

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
If there was a problem with the N805s, it would be this dilemma! :)
I have a pair of N805s as L/R and an HTM-2 as C so I feel your pain. You will be kicking yourself in the behind if you run the N805's with anything less than what they deserve. I was running my 805's with a Denon AVR-3802 and I had a feeling I wasn't utilizing the N805's to their full potential. I mean they sounded good, but not right to me. A friend brought over his Sherbourn 5/1500 amp (not the A model) and I auditioned it with the 3802 as a pre/pro -- holy moley, what a difference! [Insert colorful audiophile language here :) ] I'm now picking up a 5/1500A today or tomorrow (and a new pro/pro to boot!).
But don't listen to me! Try it out and see for yourself. :) In your receiver budget, I'd pick up a Denon AVR-2802 or a used 3802. Get an dealer that will allow you to do in-home auditions. Hook up some N805's and see how it sounds to you. If you don't like it, either upgrade your back end or return the N805s for the CDM-NT line or 600.3 series.
In the long run, IMO, you will be very, very happy with the N805s.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks