Purchasing a Toshiba 57HX81 in Seattle, WA: Who should I buy from? THANKS!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I want to purchase a Toshiba 57HX81 within the next week or so if possible.
    Can anyone reccommend somewhere in the Seattle-Tacoma area to get a good deal on the 57HX81 and also to get good service/delivery from? I have only been in the area a few days now and wanted to get some feedback before finalizing my purchase somewhere.
    * Best Buy does not have the 57HX81 in stock - (checked today)
    * Have not checked w/ Circuit City - (Would rather not give $$ to CC either)
    * Magnolia HI-FI and The Good Guys have stores near me I think - Will either of these retailers price match?
    Thanks for any help!
    Best Regards
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Go to Magnolia HiFi. End of discussion.
    I like to send business their way as they are a really neat type of dealership which we are lucky to have in our area. They deal from low to high end equipment and always maintain an open atmosphere. Unlike most places, the sales crew at Magnolia actually takes time to learn about their products. I do lurk silently at local stores on occasion listening in on the sales talk. At Magnolia, I don't leave with a mouth full of sores from biting my tongue.
    It's a refreshing change from teen sales droids at big chains, or the 6 figures or you are not worth bothering over attitude at boutiques. Magnolia Hi-Fi manages to hit that special balance which makes them a treat.
    If you are planning to be in the area for a while, it's a good thing to have a sale staffer get to know you. Prices are listed and they do have frequent sales, but it does depend on you to negotiate any special deals you desire. Will you get absolute bottom dollar deals at Magnolia? Probably not. You will get a fair deal and a vastly superior support and service staff. That's worth paying a little premium to keep around.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

You should check out the price that you can get at Video Only too. They have most places beat, my buddy is a manager of a store, call Tony at Video Only at 206-444-1650. Tell him I sent you, he'll beat anybody's price.
    ------------------
    Jeff Leeds
    [email protected]

4. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I'd also vote for Magnolia Hi Fi. Their product selection is great and their service is top notch. I am also quite certain that they price match any local retailer.

5. Chuck Frady

Chuck Frady Second Unit

Michael,
    Go see Marty Fredrickson at the Southcenter Magnolia Hi Fi, 206-575-0851.
    I just bought a Tosh 57HX81 from him and he and I worked out a fantasic deal. PM me and I will tell you the price I received from him. Tell him you were referred to him by me and you would like the same deal, or better if you work it out with him. You will get a free Samsung DVD player, or $100 off any other player you choose, plus you get 12 months, No Interest, No Payments. He is a fanstastic person to deal with, and will do what he can to make the customer happy, and satisfied with the deal.
    In my opinion, do not consider the other places locally to purchase your new set. Service after the sale should weigh in heavily with your decision. Mag Hi Fi cannot be beat there.
    Chuck Frady

6. Chuck Frady

Chuck Frady Second Unit

Andy,
    yes you are correct, Magnolia will match any authorized dealer's price on the same hardware.
    Chuck

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks for all the information guys!
    I visited a few stores today (Magnolia - The Good Guys - Video Only) in the area and I think I'll be ready to buy on Tuesday or Wednesday of this next week.
    Magnolia indeed had the best salesmen and were very knowledgeable on the 57HX81 also. The only thing stopping me from choosing them to buy from is the $400 they want for a 3 or 5 year (can't remember) extended warranty. They said they would match any price that I had in writing from any other local competitor (which I didn't have). Delivery to my new apartment would be $50.00
    The Good Guys decided to give/match a price on the 57HX81 of $2479.96 - after I informed the salesman that I had heard of a few people getting this set at that price around and also on the internet. I gathered this information from the www.hometheaterspot.com website.
    The salesman I worked with was very knowledgeable and did his best with the manager to get me a good deal (price match) and also a good deal on A 3 year extended warranty. He got that down to $200.00 - Delivery from here would be FREE. So, my total delivered price (including 8.5% sales tax) ='s $2940.76 - Not too shabby I guess.
    I checked with Video Only and they seemed very likely to match the price I had been quoted at The Good Guys - but they didn't have any in stock (or so they said). They offered me a Open Box 57HX81 w/ 5 year extended warranty for 2499.96 - but I declined on that offer as I really want and would prefer a brand new sealed box.
    I'll make my final decision this weekend sometime - if anyone has any good/bad stories about THE GOOD GUYS please let me know.
    Thanks for the continued help!
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

8. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Three responses suggest Magnolia, one suggests Video Only - and the result of this is a probable purchase at Good Guys. Why should we even bother to take the time to reply with regional savvy advice to a newcomer to the area if the info doesn't matter?

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Mr. Kuo
    I do appreciate the information (Like I said in my previous post). The information fellow HTF members (like yourself) provide does indeed matter!
    You concluded that the result to all the reccomendations I recieved from Seattle residents (3 Magnolia - 1 Video Only) that I was definitely going to be buying from Good Guys. Where did you get this information? I didn't say I was buying from them, did I?
    Let me give you some of the reasons I wanted to ask for more information about Good Guys:
    I did forget to mention that when I was at Magnolia (Roosevelt) my salesman couldn't evem see/read the remote (he said his glasses were broken) to show me the different features on the HX81. My wife finally grabbed the remote out of his hands and gave it to me. Well, he evidently also couldn't tell the differnce between the HX81's remote and the Toshiba HDTV Directv receiver remote either. And the remote he was trying to demo the HX81 with at first was indeed the wrong remote entirely. I saw the remote on top of the set later and found most of what I was looking for myself.
    He also couldn't show me a Progressive Scan DVD image (no DVD player was connected) and couldn't find the Panasonic Progressive scan DVD player (which I'm also interested in BTW) that they had on display elsewhere (yes, I found it) in the same store.
    And lastly, when I asked about the extended warranty I was only quoted a price. No explanation of what they would/would not cover if I purchased it.
    Overall, he was very kind - but he was not very helpful. He simply told me to bring in a price in writing and he would match it.
    That's when I headed off to Video Only (where I was explained the warranty - saw a progressive scan image on the HX81 - and was also shown the panasonic Progressive Scan player. They would do the price - but they didn't have one in stock. I even had my salesman give Eddie a call at the Bellevue location and he was told that he (Eddie) didn't have one in stock either. I thanked them for all the help and went accross the street to Good Guys next.
    I pulled out the piece of paper from Video Only that had $2479 jotted down on it and the words "Eddie - Bellevue Video Only" and my salesman said "I can match that price in your hand and give you a better warranty than Video Only can give you." This was just the beginning - as he explained the warranty in detail. He would also give me free delivery and setup of the HX81 this Wednesday (if I chose to buy from him).
    Now, after all that has been said: I would still like to purchase from Magnolia Hi Fi ! I'm not really 100% sure why really - I guess I just like the store better than the other 2 mentioned.
    However - I inquired for more information on The Good Guys in my last post and that is what I am going to do again. Because so far - and my wife would agree with me - they were definitely the most helpful retailer.
    Please give me any feedback on The Good Guys if you have any.
    Thank You
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

10. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

My experiences with Good Guys have been very limited. I don't think that I've bought anything bigger than a remote control from them, although I have visted their stores on several occasions to window shop.
    The only input I have on them is that I have periodically read rumors of financial difficulties. However, I don't know how substantiated those rumors are. I don't think that's a reason not to buy from them, but you should ask how the extended warranty would be serviced should they go out of business.

11. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Michael, sorry to dump down so hard on you with my last posting. There are times when it gets very frustrating. I'm surprised at the experience you had at Magnolia. They are typically quite a bit better than that. I wonder if you got one of the sales guys which didn't specialize in that type of display. They do somewhat specialize at their stores.
    Good Guys will take care of you with their extended warranty. I've had occasion to use their warranty on some PDA's. They actually ended up upgrading me to the next higher model since mine was discontinued AND refunded me the difference in price because my older model was more expensive than the new upgraded model. Not too shabby, but that was directly dealing with the manager in Lynnwood.
    Overall, Magnolia gives a higher level of service and professionalism. Despite that they manage to remain price competitive. They are a unique chain in this area and as you can tell, I strongly tink they need to be commended for holding the line against both chain store ignorance and high end snootiness.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

12. Brian Barnesky

Magnolia Hi-Fi does have a nice selection of both high and lower end products. That is a rare mix that is good to see together when comparing products in my opinion.
    However, I have no business to offer a place where the employees THINK they know everything, charge steep prices and pressure you since I believe they work on commission. For example, I was shopping for a new Sony ES receiver and nobody in the store could tell me what the difference between the 4443es and the 555es was. The salesman even tried telling me, "The 555 is a far better receiver with much more power and will not be outdated as quick!" Well since they are the same units but have different remotes that was all I needed to hear. I tried to explain what the diff was and all I got was attitude saying that they were pretty sure I was wrong!
    Just my opinion.
    Brian

13. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

Mike,
    I bought my Toshiba 50H81 from Steve at Video Only....got a good discount and didnt pay tax. I recommend Video Only in Tacoma, but not sure if they have any 57HX81's in stock. Steve is big on the Toshiba's and even pushed me on them with the Sony's and others being $300-500 more expensive. I am happy with my set and the service and advice I got from him. Swing by there and talk to him. Couldnt hurt [​IMG]
    Brian in Tacoma

14. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Brian
    I already purchased my Sony 57HW40 about 2 months ago - this thread is somewhat dated. [​IMG]
    I almost purchased a 57YHX81 from Video Only in Tacoma - but when I went to go make the deal they were out of stock. So I went w/ The Good Guys in Tacoma and bought the 57HX81 from them. 2 weeks later I returned it because it had "ghosting" problems...exchanged it for the Sony 57HW40 and I absolutely love it!
    Good Guys is now going out of business...i think....most of the Good Guys stores in this area are closing anyway.