What's new

Purchasing a HDTV capable TV, are there any models I should avoid ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Purchasing a HDTV capable TV, are there any models or brands I should avoid ?...I'm looking to stay under $2k....I'm more of a music guy and I'm not up to date with all the HDTV stuff....thanks in advance

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
We need more information. What size? RPTV or direct-view?
I have the 36" Sony XBR450 and I paid a little over $2K for it. The 36" Sony HS model is very close, but does not do reverse 3:2 pull-down. I am partial to Sony, but Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Pioneer, and Hitachi seem to get good reviews for RPTVs. Sony Wegas and Panasonic Taus lead the way in direct-view sets.

Craig

Second Unit
Toshiba makes a 42" widescreen, Mitsubishi makes a 46" widescreen and Panasonic has a 47" widescreen. You should be able to get any of these for $2000 or less.
I don't know of any brand that has a really bad reputation. I've had my Toshiba widescreen for 2 years and haven't had any problems. If you buy from a dealer with at least a 30 day return policy you should be ok.
My advice would be to get the largest set you can comfortably afford. I think once you get used to watching DVDs and HDTV on a bigscreen you'll never regret the purchase.
[Edited last by Craig on November 16, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Need some help guys....I'm afraid to lay down 2.5k (including shipping/service plan) on junk :)

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
i purshased a hitachi 43uwx10b and i couldn't be happier. the set it HIGHLY tweakable, do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
i got the set for 1699 plus tax.
basically every set has its unique issues; find the one that bothers you the least and go with it
geordy
------------------

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Since no one has posted anything negative, than I'm assuming I could go for anything in my price range. Right ?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I have experience with the Tosh, Mits, and Panny and like them all. You chose :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks