Purchasing a HDTV capable TV, are there any models I should avoid ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Nov 16, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Purchasing a HDTV capable TV, are there any models or brands I should avoid ?...I'm looking to stay under $2k....I'm more of a music guy and I'm not up to date with all the HDTV stuff....thanks in advance

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

We need more information. What size? RPTV or direct-view?
    I have the 36" Sony XBR450 and I paid a little over $2K for it. The 36" Sony HS model is very close, but does not do reverse 3:2 pull-down. I am partial to Sony, but Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Pioneer, and Hitachi seem to get good reviews for RPTVs. Sony Wegas and Panasonic Taus lead the way in direct-view sets.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm looking into a 16x9 projection set no more than 45 inches

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Toshiba makes a 42" widescreen, Mitsubishi makes a 46" widescreen and Panasonic has a 47" widescreen. You should be able to get any of these for $2000 or less.
    I don't know of any brand that has a really bad reputation. I've had my Toshiba widescreen for 2 years and haven't had any problems. If you buy from a dealer with at least a 30 day return policy you should be ok.
    My advice would be to get the largest set you can comfortably afford. I think once you get used to watching DVDs and HDTV on a bigscreen you'll never regret the purchase.
    [Edited last by Craig on November 16, 2001 at 06:45 PM]

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Need some help guys....I'm afraid to lay down 2.5k (including shipping/service plan) on junk [​IMG]

6. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

i purshased a hitachi 43uwx10b and i couldn't be happier. the set it HIGHLY tweakable, do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
    i got the set for 1699 plus tax.
    basically every set has its unique issues; find the one that bothers you the least and go with it
    geordy
    ------------------

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Since no one has posted anything negative, than I'm assuming I could go for anything in my price range. Right ?

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I have experience with the Tosh, Mits, and Panny and like them all. You chose [​IMG]