What's new

Purchasing a Floor Model (1 Viewer)

agnerc

Grip
Real Name
Chris
I have the opportunity of purchasing a floor model that Sony is doscontinuing. I will be saving about $400.00 on this unit. I have inspected it and it looks perfect, sounds great and the picture looks like new. I assume it is about 1 year old so far. What are your thoughts on purchasing a floor model?

Thanks,

Chris

DougR

Second Unit
Beings how it's a Floor Model (with many hours used on it) and a year old. A $ 400.00 discount is not enough !!
I'm sure you can get more knocked off but I think you would be better off just buying new.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I would never buy a floor model television. They've been on 12+ hours a day probably in torch mode.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Plasmas and CRT's may have suffered phosphor wear. Non-CRT RPTV's may have most of the bulb life consumed where the replacment costs a coupl'a hundred bucks. LCD's may be ready to start acquiring more dead pixels. These are things that warranties specifically exclude.

Video hints: Video Technicalia Made Easy

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
This sunday best buy lost my 46 inch rptv sony e3000. They offered to ship a floor model of the same kind I said no. They offered to give a even exchanged for a westinghouse lcd new which was on sale. I said no. They offered to give me the 50 inch e3000 for 150 more.I told them yes then I said are you crazy. The floor model sony didnt look all that good and I ended up paying a little more for a 46 inch lcd samsung. Should have bought the tv from myer emco. Dont buy the floor model

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Floor models age in dog years -- they likely see 3x - 5x more usage hours per day than your home TV. So in practical terms, if this TV has been on the floor for a year, it's seen 3 - 5 years of equivalent use. How much discount do you need to buy a TV with that much "mileage"; is $400 enough for a TV that's been on 12 hrs a day, and pushed and prodded by thousands of people?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of buying used or demo models, with one exception, displays. I would never consider buying a floor or demo display.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I think a lot has to do with where the set is coming from. I bought a 27" TV for the bedroom from a store that originaly sold only laser disks and high end equipment. They had the set calibrated so the laser discs would look good, so it wasn't burned in or in flame torch mode when I got it. I have had the set for a long time (bought it just as DVD was coming out, not sure how many years ago this was), and it is still going strong....I guess I am just lucky...

bashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett Ashton
What about refurbished then?

I'm looking for some 2nd / 3rd / kids room displays, and Westinghouse keeps popping up, particularly from some internet retailers.

bashton

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks