Purchased Music - New/Used?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Eric_Connelly, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

I've been going nuts on Amazon and Ebay with used music.

So far I've had excellent luck and picked up some great deals in excellent condition.

Anyone else been into buying stuff used?

I generally only buy if the savings is significant, if its a couple of bux I just get the new piece because in the end it is a gamble.

Just wondering how everyone elses experiences have been.

2. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I used to buy on ebay all the time, but now most sellers pad their price by charging way to much in shipping. I won't pay more than 2 dollars for shipping in the US, and finding ebay listings with that low a shipping price is pretty much impossible anymore. I generally always buy used and have had good luck. Now, I'm buying from yourmusic.com (BMG).

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

As a Canadian Buyer I have been finding Ebay to be great for SACD and DVD-A both new and used.

I also see some sellers charging very high shipping (US and/or Canada) and I just pass them by. 2 bucks is a little low to expect IMHO though Kyle [​IMG]. See what it costs for a good padded mailer and postage and a trip to the Post Office and I expect it is around 2.50 - 3.00USD.

4. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

I've actually bought more from Amazon than Ebay.

Most people charge 2.49 for shipping but I've picked up some nice pieces for under $10.00 shipped.

Shopping is easier on Amazon too, you pay once and can remove items easily when the shipping charges come up.

I'll try yourmusic.com though and see what I can find.

5. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I've picked up a couple of used discs from SecondSpin.com. You can also sell your used discs to them and they also have DVD's and games. Also their shipping is not bad at $2.50 and $.35 for additional discs.

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I love used (cheap) music! By far, the majority of my 2005 purchases were between half.com and yourmusic.com. Only the occasional SACD was purchased new. [​IMG]

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I echo Kyle's sentiments exactly, particularly about the shipping costs.

In fact, since my joining yourmusic.com, I am very reluctant to pay more for any of my music. There has been more than one occasion where I decided to buy a title, but found that yourmusic did not have it listed.

I would look at other vendors, normally CDUniverse or Amazon, but quickly decided that for $13.99 plus shipping, I really did not want that particulary CD quite so bad.

Brian

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I have used CD store about 2 miles from my house, and I have bought at least 1000 CDs there over the past 10 years, and have had very few problems with skipping. If they do, I simply return them and get a different disc.

Over the years, I have become good friends with the owner and all of the employees, so I get even further discounts. I rarely pay more than $5 per disc there. In fact this past weekend, I picked up 4 discs (2 of which were 2 disc sets), and they charged me $25. I love it, because I can take crazy chances on stuff that I would never pay $10-$15 for.[​IMG]