What's new

Purchased a Yamaha receiver (1 Viewer)

PCRIDE

Agent
Real Name
Speaker
Hi, I purchased a receiver from Costco. It was enough for what I need it for. I am wondering how to use the HDIM inputs on the back. It has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. If I plug in a DVD player into the receiver, how do I get sound from the TV? Are the 4 HDIM ports on the receiver like a splitter so I plug in 4 devices then the HDIM output goes to the TV and I change the input on the receiver? I also used a optical cable for the audio from TV to the receiver. How does this work when using the HDMI ports on the receiver?
Yamaha TSR-7850 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Many people find that once they get used to the higher quality of their speakers they don't want to hear their TV ever again.
But if you do, you're covered: https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/audio_visual/2488.html.

The other way of getting sound from your devices connected to your TV is to use the ARC connection. How well that works will depend on your TV too. (ARC is useful if you're connecting an antenna to your TV.) But overall I'd advise connecting everything to the receiver and using the external speakers.

PCRIDE

Agent
Real Name
Speaker
Thanks! I tested it and it passes both Audio and video through the HDIM. This will make it nice as I only need one HDMI into the TV. I suppose I could hook in the Chromcast to the receiver as well. The optical cable I suppose only provides sound for the normal TV.
Thank you again A.I

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation058
Recent bookmarks