What's new

Purchased a 50HDX82 for a STEAL... (1 Viewer)

Johnny/B

Auditioning
The things wrong with the set are the front panel that covers the speakers is damaged and the picture is kinda of tilted a bit. I am wondering if Toshiba does repair on these sets at home, or do you have to actually lug the thing into a service center.

I purchased this for UNDER $500 because my store was going to throw it out. Everything else works great - tuner, remote, inputs...

What should I expect the service man will do? Will he replace the cover? Align the CRTs?

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Demos and clear outs are purchased as is ... often. No new cover ... but tilt is easily fixed via the convergence grid.

Regards

Johnny/B

Auditioning
OK, but doesn't Toshiba come out to align everything if the picture is still out of whack? Also, under their warranty, do they send someone onsite?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well, if you're technically the first retail purchaser of that unit and it was not sold by Toshiba to the dealer as a refurbished unit, and the dealer you bought from is an authorised Toshiba dealer, you should still have a 'like new' warranty on it.

I just can't believe that one of their employees wouldn't want it at that price!

Johnny/B

Auditioning
JohnnyG, I am an employee ;) . I purchased it yesterday and will have it delivered Saturday.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny, if your brave you should try to align the picture yourself. There are many sites online which go into detail on how to do this. A "certified technician" coming to your house to fix your convergence will lead them giving you one of these statements - "Oh, these CRT's have an inherent problem with convergence. There's no way to fix it" or "It looks good to me".

I would either have an ISF tech calibrate or try calibrating yourself.

Chris

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You can even download one of my geometry templates for free and do the job right:

Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks