purchase question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave-Z, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

G'evenin all

Looking for some opinions as to what receiver you would recommend as the best in the $1000 range(800-1200 max!)

Needs are about 50-50 music/tv-dvd

Need to drive 4ohm speakers across the front, 8ohm surrounds.

Those are the basics. I'll add more detail below, but if you care to just quickly reply, no need to read on, and thank you very much for your help!

fyi, been eyeballing NAD primarily, then HK or Denon.

details:

Speakers are PSB Silver-i's in front, C6i center and currently athena ASB1's as surrounds, but likely will move to PSB mini's as budget allows. I think power and decoding are more important right now.

I do have an NHT 150w sub-amp for some point in the future, but recently moved out of a house in MI to a more expensive apartment in VA [​IMG], so returned my velodyne sub which I loved as it just would shake my neighbors out of their beds. Might be funny to watch [​IMG], but not good for the long haul.

Current receiver is Denon avr-1700, putting out about 80w, but hurting these days. Even lost an output on her, but she's been great under the heavy load. Still, she needs to move to a secondary role.

One thing I need to consider is that I'll likely be back in a house in 18 months(time I'm in this position), if not sooner, so I am looking to develop with that goal in mind.

With my speakers, the major issue is the 4ohm load, which is why NAD has major appeal top me. The 773 is out of my range, but the 763 falls right in at the top end. Have seen prices in the $1150 range, which is not that great of a deal considering it's MSRP'd at $1399, but folks don't seem to stray too far from msrp with NAD like they might with other components.

My concern is three-fold:
    1) The technical problems that so many people have illustrated across the board with NAD receivers. They seem to absolutely love them, but hate them for their inconsistency. Now, how prevalent this really is, I can't say. Most folks who don't have problems don't speak up, as with most things, you hear the negatives much more than the positives. Still, a major concern.

2) Audio drop-outs when playing cd's digitally at the beginning of tracks. Seems none of the other manufacturers have this issue, or at least nowhere near the degree which NAD has..

3) Is this the best money to spend? I'd like to have something that will last me at least 5 years, until more audio decodings come along, etc... at which point I'll likely go seperates. I think I've set my budget up correctly, just curious what you all think?

That's about all I can think of in terms of relevant info. Any responses you have would just be fantastic.

Thank you again for your time and help!

Dave Z

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

HK has probably the beefier amp section of the 3 receivers, but to do your speakers justice w/ the 4-ohm load, you should look into external amplification for the front 3 channels. Onecall.com is clearing out a Carver 80X5 amp right now that would do quite nicely for $288.00.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

could you please clarify this extremely vague statement

thank you

4. Kevin Alexander

ScottCHI, this is a help thread. I offered some help and an opinion. My opinion is NOT infallible. I don't know why, but the wording of your reply leads me to believe that you took some offense to my post. If so, please find something else to get offended about. If not, Dave-Z would probably appreciate some more responses to his questions.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

not really offended, just puzzled

you may be correct, but you didn't say which models you were talking about, whether you meant watt for watt(or what), or ....................

...........................what did you mean?

6. Kevin Alexander

Glad to hear I didn't offend you Scott.[​IMG] The 2 models from Denon and H/K comparable w/ the NAD 763 seem to be the H/K 7200 and the Denon 3805. All 3 seem to be great, solid receivers that I wouldn't be ashamed to have in my system. It is well documented here that H/K seems to be one of the most (if not the most) honest manufacturers when it comes to rated amp power, and the method they use to rate them. Not to mention that the 7200 has a +75 ampere high-current capability - that type of power should drive 4 ohm speaker quite nicely. After a quick glance on the NAD sight, they seem to rate their receivers in a similar way, even calling their AV receivers High Current, but I didn't find any specs on the ampere rating. As for Denon, it appears to be a nice AVR, but I didn't find any in-depth specs on the amp power into 4 ohms. If all of the receivers have the features you like, I would look closer at specs to fill your 4-ohm requirements.

7. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Thanks for the replies.

In fact, I've been spending months now looking for exactly those 4-ohm standard ratings for receivers, and truth to tell, they are few and far between.

NAD is the only 'a/v receiver' that actually specifies a 4ohm load thd of less than .06%. Now, that's not saying others don't also have a good performance rating with 4ohms, but it seems to me that they might not trust their products enough to advertise the fact.

I've seen some h/k models that have excellent 4ohm performance, but others, and price/quality does not seem to be a specific delineator, that don't perform well at all. It leads me to fear the entire line.

I'm pretty much ruling Denon out, even though I love the brand and quality, I think it just doesn't have the clarity and clean, consistent power I need.

H/K seem very tempting because most folks feel it has tremendous performance over-all, both music and movies. This seems to be the major edge, along with general price, that H/K has over NAD. That, and having no major tech issues such as NAD has.

However, NAD just seems to have the best power in a receiver, at least any brand of receiver that I can afford. It sounds great with the PSB's, looks nice, but I just worry about longevity from an over-all hardware perspective. Upgradable is nice, ... it's a touch call.

I can probably grab an H/K 100w for about $2-400 cheaper than NAD with all the comparable accoutremonts, but when pushed, it just isn't as clean as the NAD.

So, both worthy contenders, highs and lows, pros and cons, just a touch decision. I think the hardest part is trying to make this decision with the future in mind, moving to seperates, but really not having a clue as to what that is really going to entail. Haven't even looked into pre/pros etc...

Also thought this would offer a good chance before I make my final purchase for someone perhaps mentioning some brand, line, set-up, pre/pro that I can grow with and learn with in this price range, pretty much anything so that when I make my purchase, I don't feel like a fool wasting money when I didn't know enough going in.

Thanks again for the time and posts!

8. Kevin Alexander

You could also get a lower model NAD or H/K AVR w/ preouts and invest in a nice external 3-channel amp (NAD?) w/o ever having to about power again. Check out www.audiogon.com for some great deals on new and used amps. Hope this helps.