1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Purchase pattern - what is next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterR, Oct 18, 2002.

1. PeterR

PeterR Auditioning

This is my first post!
    Anyway, I am a noob to the whole HT thing but you guys have already convinced me to buy a H/K AVR320 and Panasonic RP82 DVD which I'm very happy with. I've matched these with two existing towers (Def BP-10). My question is: what would be the next logical step in building my HT? I've scrounged enough $$$ to buy the next item; should it be rear surrounds, woofer or a center speaker?

Thanks

2. ed_jacobson

ed_jacobson Auditioning

Based on my experience, my recommendation would be to go with the center, the surrounds, and then the woofer.

For me, one of the biggest differences in my HT was when I got the center channel. It anchored the dialogue to the screen, while separating out the soundtrack, and allowing various sound effects to move across the screen. This provides a benefit in about 90% of all movies.

There is no doubt that the surrounds provide a huge impact. However, they provide a huge impact in only about 30% of all movies, and even in those movies, they are only really active about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, and on the rest of the movies, they are fairly inactive or provide only the occasional benefit.

The subwoofer helps, no doubt. But on average, it is only active about 10-20% of the time.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. ben_fowler

ben_fowler Extra

Hi there. I would probably go with a center channel next. As you've heard before I'm sure, they do the most work in a movie. However, if you have to wait a while between each purchase, you might ask yourself what's more important: the RUMBLE, or the enveloping surround sound, or the centered-to-the TV dialogue..
    Good luck.

5. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I would move to the center next. It is the single most important speaker in the entire setup. Make sure you get a quality speaker, because 99% of all the dialogue in movies comes from the center speaker. If you cheap out, you'll regret it with almost every DVD you own.

I would then move to the subwoofer. While surrounds certainly are key to "wrapping" you into the movie, there are alot of movies where rear surrounds are no more than second class citizens and not well utilized. A sub, however, will be used in most movies, either for LFE effects or low bass in music/soundtracks. The subwoofer will probably be the single biggest noticeable "improvement" to your entire setup, and really puts the theater in Home Theater. I've had many friends put off buying a sub for many years thinking it wasn't that important, but once they do all of them say they wished they had done it years earlier.

Rich