Purchase of CD or DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Zatkoff, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Steve Zatkoff

Steve Zatkoff Stunt Coordinator

A friend is asking me which player she should purchase? She will use this more for CD Audio and play DVD movies only once in a while. Her current receiver is a Denon 2 channel and is interested in a mid to high end player with a 6 disc changer. Would she loose any sound quality by purchasing a DVD player that would primarly play CD's? What models should I recommend.

2. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Budget?

3. Steve Zatkoff

$300-$500.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm not sure about this, but at least on my DVD player, you can't program in specific song sequences for playback. In other words, suppose I'm in the mood for listening to specific songs in a certain order from different CD's. I wouldn't be able to do so with my current DVD or the other ones I was looking at. I have no idea if this is true for all DVD changers. As far as CD changers, I have an Onkyo, a Harman Kardon, and an Adcom. My favorite by far is the Onkyo, but that's my personal listening taste.

5. Steve Zatkoff

TTT

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, straight CD players are often better than comparably-priced DVD players soundwise. This is because certain compromises on the audio side have to be made to incorporate video capability into a DVD player. Thus, I say get a straight CD player. Note that if a six-disc changer is a must, the selection is limited. Basically, your friend is limited to the Onkyo DX-C380, which is a six-disc carousel for around $180, and the Pioneer PD-M426, which is a six-disc magazine changer for around $180. These are decent players, but not as good players in the $300-500 range. Onkyo has made CD changers in its higher-end Integra line and Pioneer has offered a magazine changer it is better Elite line, but I don't think these changers are still available. In any event, there are many more five-disc changers to choose from. Some models to consider include the following:
    * Sony SCD-C333ES: The 'C333ES is a very well-built CD changer (23 lbs.) that also plays stereo SACDs. SACDs sound noticeably better than CDs. The 'C333ES was discontinued a a few months, but your friend may still be able to find one for around $500 new. Check eBay, www.audiogon.com, and J&R Music World (authorized dealer; 1-800-221-8180). If she can find the 'C333ES for $500, I feel it's the CD changer to get. I bought one back in April and love it. Note that Sony ES products come with a five-year warranty.
    * Sony CDP-CA80ES: The 'CA80ES is a CD-only changer and is not in the league of the 'C333ES buildwise or soundwise as a CD player, but it is also cheaper. Your friend should be able to get the 'CA80ES from J&R for less than $400. I owned this changer (two actually) once upon a time, and it is a nice changer for the money.
    * Marantz CC4000OSE: This CD changer sells for around $400 at brick-and-mortar stores. Build quality is solid, and the changer mechanism is excellent (smooth and fast).
    * NAD 523: The 523 sells for under $400 and is a nice changer. It too has a smoother carousel drawer and a nice sound. Like all all NAD Classic Series components, the 523 is drab-looking, but is a solid changer. Sound City (1-800-370-3156), an authorized NAD dealer, should have the best price on this changer.
    Hope this helps.