Purchase decision: Plasma's--Sony KE42XS910 vs. Pioneer PDP4341HD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AvanishV, Apr 5, 2004.

1. AvanishV

AvanishV Auditioning

Hello all,

I hope some of you can help me decide on one of these two plasma TVs:

Sony KE42XS910
    Pioneer PDP4341HD

All the stores I've stopped in at repeatedly mention that the Pioneer is the higher rated set (they're both at the same price point) though at every one of these stores, the Sony looks better (to me at least). Also, the Sony certainly looks better which is a consideration as we're hoping it'll meld nicely with our decor.

Based upon features available, I noticed that they differ with respect to:
    1. Built-in HDTV tuner (Pioneer has it, Sony doesn't)
    2. DVI input (Sony has it, Pioneer doesn't)
    3. PIP tuner (1-tuner in Sony vs. 2-tuners in the Pioneer)

What do you guys think? Thanks!

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The general consensus over at the AVS plasma forum is that the Sonys underperform the Pannys/Toshibas/Pioneers/Fujitsus/NECs at a significantly higher pricepoint.

Excluding uber-expensive but uber-recommended Fujitsu, the top 2 are generally considered :

Panasonic
    Pioneer

You can never really trust what a set looks like in the store. (Read forum FAQs about torch mode, etc on the storeroom floor). Try grabbing the remote, cranking down the sharpness, brightness, contrast, etc to more reasonable levels (like 20-40%). The Panny 42" ED at CC looked like crap until I did this. I got a lot better idea of what the picture could look like.

Plus, as far as I knew, the Sonys are based on ALiS plasma tech (I could be wrong). Same technology as the lower end, cheaper plasmas (Sampo, Gateway, etc).

If you are doing plasma, a very good information source is the Plasma and LCD forum over at www.AVSforum.com.

3. AvanishV

AvanishV Auditioning

Thanks! Now the Pioneer doesn't have DVI (it has HDMI instead)--is that a potential drawback? Should I absolutely be looking for DVI input in the plasma?

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    HDMI is DVI Plus, so to speak, IIRC it is DVI with added channels for audio, in effect a single-cable link. It is possible, I believe, to buy a cable that is HDMI at one end and DVI at the other, in effect an adapter.

So if anything, HDMI is a plus, not a negative, although I suppose the availability of that adapter cable might be a problem, as well as the limited number of HDMI DVD players out there -- IIRC only Pioneer themselves make them right now, although that may change.