What's new

Purchase advice (1 Viewer)

PaulKing

Auditioning
I'm looking to replace my current Sony A/V receiver. I currently have a Klipsch 5.1 surround setup and I want to convert it to 7.1. Most of the use for this system is TV/Movies/XBOX, some occasional music/CD. I'm considering the following receivers:
  • Onkyo TX-SR702
  • Denon AVR-2805
  • Pioneer Elite VSX-54Tx

So far I've heard of these problems.

The Pioneer Elite has problems with Dish Network's Digital Optical in. This is a problem as we use Dish Network's 522 DVR system daily on our current system. Also, the Pioneer only have 2 optical inputs on the back of the system, this could present a problem in the future as I have 2 input lines in use now - if I add anything, I'm toast.

I've read reports of the Denon having problems decoding DTS 96/24. I have used this in the past and want to continue using this.

I've found little to no information on the Onkyo.

Any advice? Anyone else have any info on these choices? What would you pick?

PaulKing

Auditioning
OK, now it seems there is another consideration, the Onkyo TX-801. The NetTune stuff seems pretty neat. I've seen a few posts mentioning that they are very hot, and that there should be a TX-802 'soon'. I haven't seen anything on Onkyo's website about an 802, so I thought again, I would ask here.

Any info?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I thought the 802 and the 9## receivers from Onkyo were going to hit the streets in January. I read this information in another thread/forum about a month ago.

Being that you own Klipsch speakers, give some serious consideration to the 54TX Elite receiver.

PaulKing

Auditioning
I'd love to consider the Elite, but it absolutely must read the optical output from my Dish Network receiver. Has any one had any experience with the 522 DVR and the Elite?

If I could just get a yes it works or no it doesn't, these decisions would become much easier.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I know alot of people had problems with the Pioneer 1014 and dish network.
Here is a quote I found:

quote:Anyone know which Dish network DVR's are not compatible...or which are?? I have the Dish DVR 522...anyone know if that one works with it? and if it doesnt are there any that will (ie yamaha or onkyo..etc.)

I have the Dish DVR 522 hooked up to the Pio 1014 and it works fine. I haven't had any problems at all getting the 522 and 1014 to play nice with each other.

PaulKing

Auditioning
Since the receivers are essentially the same, I suppose you could assume the matchup would work. I just don't want to order one and find out the hard way.

PaulKing

Auditioning
Buying locally could be a possibility, but I wanted to narrow my choices as much as possible before I went out to demo. I hate having to rethink my choices when reviewing in front of a salesman

Anyway. It looks like the Pioneer Elite VSX-54Tx is out of the running. It doesn't have a phone input and this is a must for me.

So, down to the Onkyo and Denon. I hear overall good things about both brands, but info on the Onkyo isn't as available as Denon.

Opinions?

PaulKing

Auditioning
One other thing perhaps someone can help me with.

How is the up conversion on the video on these (Onkyo and Denon) units? Has anyone compared them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks