Punky Brewster season 3 - this summer!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Scott_J, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I had recently found the 21 of 22 Season 3 episodes The Family Channel aired in the mid-1990s and put them on DVD+R (They didn't air "The Metamorphosis," as Pat Robertson still owned the network at the time), but I'll buy it anyway. I was losing faith in Sony's ability to get it out, especially because I like S3 more than S2. The reason for this is, as I posted before:

This happened because of the now-repealed Fin-Syn laws passed in 1971 forbidding networks from having anything to do with TV syndication.

And the episodes should be shorter than the first 2 seasons. On the Family Channel the episodes I have located in my collection from the 3rd and 4th seasons averaged out to a mere 21:30 each, corresponding to other first-run syndicated sitcoms of the same era, yet 1 minute shorter than the episodes on the DuckTales (another syndicated series) DVD set. But we shall see.

An observation: Season 1 was announced (or I learned of it) while I was on vacation, and so were seasons 2 and 3 (I just got back from Washington, D.C.)

3. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Hell freakin' yes! I was so excited to see this a few minutes ago on tvshowsondvd.com! I was not expecting to see seasons 3 or 4 released anytime soon, as I thought there were rights issues. Such great news, there are some hilarious episodes from the syndication years, and hopefully season 4 will be released eventually.

So, does this mean that Sony is licensing season 3 to Shout! for DVD release? (I thought Sony didn't do that sort of thing?) If so, maybe Sony would eventually let Shout! release Silver Spoons if they were interested? (as Sony doesn't seem to be, for whatever reason...) Or maybe even It's Your Move? (I think Sony owns that) Or maybe this is an isolated incident, since Shout! had already released the first half of the series, Sony figured they'd let them release the rest. Who knows? I don't... :-P

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Probably an exception, although they licensed Naked City to Image and Get a Life to Rhino.

5. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

July 25th is during summer, so it looks like that time frame is going to pan out because TSOD is now reporting a 7/25/06 release for season 3. Although not much is known about the extras, more of the It's Punky Brewster cartoon eps will be included on S3. Cover art is posted on the above link (basically the same as the previous seasons, with a pink background). Shout is also working on season 4, according to the story.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Glad to finally see this coming, although I wish they'd use a different photo than the exact same one on the season 1 and 2 boxes. Especially because Punky does NOT wear her hair in pigtails in the last two seasons.

7. Tabetha

Tabetha Agent

I'm surprised they are finally releasing this season of Punky Brewster. Though I still have to get season 2 of the show. Does anyone think that the price will drop for season 2 now that season 3 is coming out?

Tabbi

8. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I remember being in the hospital in the 90's and that episode of Punky was on but I do not know which station it was on, I never had cable and had not seen the show since original NBC primetime airing.

Since the episodes will be shorter, could more episodes of It's Punky Brewster appear than in previous releases?

I do not know who owns it but there was a show, I think it was called Cadets, that featured Soleil Moon Frye and Jaleel (Urkel) White in military school with Richard Roundtree. I had it on a now dead VHS recording. I think there was only one episode and it was made right after Punky ended. If Shout could get this for a bonus feature it would be much appreciated.

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Recently finished season 2, anyone think soleil moon frye will finally appear on season 3 extras ?

10. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Since we are getting close to release date ill ask this,i only remember season 1 and 2 well. Is the opening intro the same in season 3 or different ?

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The opening is different: the clips are largely updated with clips from season 3 episodes, new clips for all the stars' credits, and a credit for Brandon. Opening and closing themes are the same recordings. The same one is used on season 4

Sitcomsonline has a review up already:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/punkybr...dvdreview.html

Running times are uniformly around 21:55 each, about half a minute longer than the Family Channel versions. These are about the same as some of the other First Run Syndicated series I have on tape from this era when they first aired.

12. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Thanks Matt, for the info and the heads up on the early review, already ordered mine at amazon.

13. Xenia Stathakopoulou

I was just thinking , between season 2 and 3 their was a gap of something like 15 months, so when the show returned instead of season 3 ,technically it should have been known as the new punky brewster show.

14. ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen the show but got a free copy from work. Has it not been released yet?

15. Xenia Stathakopoulou

No, it hasnt been released yet. Release date is this tuesday, but then i have to wait another week till my set arrives from usa to greece .

16. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Since i have to wait a few more days to recieve season 3 in the mail, i figure there must be some people from this thread who picked it up today.Just 2 questions, i know the cover is basiclly the same with a pink background, but what about the backcover, same picture again ? Also if anybody had a chance to watch a little , is the picture quality the same as season 2 or better ?I know the sitcoms online review says about the same, but i want to see fans opinions.

17. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Nevermind about the backcover, they finally put it up on dvd empire.

18. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Finally got mine a few days ago,ive watched all of the first 2 discs, the picture and audio seem to be improved a little when compared to season 2.Same goes for the cartoons.What do you guys think ?

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I don't know. But it amazes me that you, Tony, could get your copy in Greece before I got my preorder shipped.

20. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Well, i ordered mine from amazon it left july 21, and got it on the 26th, ordered with expedited international shipping.Where the heck did you order it Matthew and havent recieved it yet ?