What's new

Punk Rock Recommendations (1 Viewer)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Most of my favorite bands are:

AFI,NOFX, Rancid, Ten Foot Pole, Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls, Less than Jake, Misfits, Anti-Flag, Dead Kennedys, Suicide Machines, Bad Religion, The Beatsticks, Against All Authority, Pennywise, Lagwagon, Osker, Pulley, Raised Fist, Vodoo Glow Skulls, CKY, some Offpring and the Ramones if you consider them punk. green day and blink just sold out bad so dont even consider their high pitched singing which shows how bad they need to take hormonal enhancers.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Alot of great recommendations already...but don't overlook Bikini Kill for 90's punk.
For some older 70's style punk, check out X-Ray Spex.
Bruce

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I haven't listened to punk in decades, but coming from the town that produced DOA, The Subhumans, The Young Canadians and (I believe) The Pointed Sticks, there was a fair amount around when I was a youngin'.

Digging through my 45s, I found the DOA World War Three, Prisoner, and Disco Sucks discs, my Somebody's Mom (Pointed Sticks), and an EP for The Subhumans (F*ck You) and Young Canadians.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Heres a few more Emo/Rock Punk bands:

The Murder City Devils

Sparta

At The Drive-In

Thursday

Dead Low Tide

I would recommend checking those bands out especially The Murder City Devils albums In Name and Blood, Empty Bottles Broken Hearts, Self Titled, Thelema.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
Check out a little-known band called The Queers. While I wouldn't consider a lot of the bands listed above 'punk', these guys seem to recapture a lot of the simple raging tunefulness perfected by the early punkers. Equally influenced by the Ramones and the Beach Boys, when I first heard them it seemed as though I'd finally found a band that understands what makes punk rock great.

Best albums: Punk Rock Confidential & Don't Look Back.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
One thing to note is that Wire's "On Returning" is a compilation. I would, however, just try and get the 1st three -- "Pink Flag", "Chairs Missing" and "154". In the course of < 3 years, you'll hear them go from bratty, ascerbic punks to bratty, ascerbic, brainy punks. There's nothing quite like it. I was lucky enough to see them live when they reformed a couple years ago and seeing something like "Reuters" or "Mercy" played live is something I'll never forget. Even the techno-y "phase two" stuff was given new, guitar driven life.

Dugga Dugga Dugga.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
this thread has been dead for a while- but, i'd like to add a few bands...

first, i can't believe that JAWBREAKER was left off of the list. blake schwarzenbach almost single handedly revived a great deal of the punk scene (in my opinion). he is the current frontman for a band which seems to be getting some praise in this forum... JETS TO BRAZIL. if you buy a JTB album, go with orange rhyming dictionary, as four corners is tooooooooooo poppy and almost dull. the two best breakup songs i have ever heard are on orange rhyming dictionary- this is more of an emo/indie band though. now, jawbreaker is raw emotion... he may be one of the best lyricists i've ever encountered.

next, operation ivy... while they do sound a little ska-ish, they are still one of my favorite bands. if you like them, check out COMMON RIDER, a more current edition of the lead singers band... great stuff-

next- the ramones are rad.

weezer is dope...

supergrass is also a great band, they're british check out "sitting up straight" - that may be one of my favorite songs.

one of my favorite albums is everclear's 'sparkle and fade'

back to more punk stuff...

the queers

down by law

bouncing souls

goldfinger is still really fun shiz

hmm.. i'm tired-

i should be working- not writing on the company dime.

oh, and i like the get up kids as well.

these bands aren't as 'raw' as others.. but, i like a lot of their chord progressions. i'll look back into my cd stash and think about what i listen to.

the promise ring

alkaline trio

and... if you can find a band called SICKO

- you will not be disappointed. have fun

peter

Brenton

Screenwriter
If you are, by any chance, into the newer "pop-punk", you might be interested in the music I listen to. I love practically all of the bands under the ever-growing independent label of Drive Thru Records. They include:
Allister - Fun, wacky, yet sincere, pop-punk.
The Early November - More emo than pop-punk, actually.
Finch - at first, you might find these guys to be very different from any other Drive Thru band. They are what some people might call "hardcore" because of the use of screaming at particularly emotional moments, but in reality, if you listen to the lyrics, they are all about the same thing as any other band on Drive Thru.
Hidden In Plain View - the newest member of the Drive Thru family.
Home Grown - This band has the distinction of two lead singers.
Midtown - It appears that these guys are no longer on the Drive Thru label, as they've done some things to alienate fans and people who have been helping them from the start. In an interview, they made some backstabbing comments against Richard and Stephanie Reines, the brother-sister team that runs Drive Thru. They've also expressed to the Reinses their lack of dedication. Apparently they don't take their music careers as seriously as they should. So... screw THEM.
The Movielife - What can I say? These guys are awesome.
New Found Glory - Undoubtedly the most famous band on the list. These guys have made it to MTV. Some people would call them "sellouts", but others (myself included) find their music to be just as poignant and sincere as it was back in their days of anonymity.
RX Bandits - A ska band. Their lyrics tend to reflect their strong political viewpoints, as well as singing about girls like most of the other Drive Thru bands.
Senses Fail - Like Finch, these guys are different from most of the Drive Thru bands. Extremely talented instrumentation with hautingly disturbing lyrics. ("I had a dream last night, and in my dream I took a knife to you. I slit your throat from ear to ear, the wound was gasping for the air, your screams were clear.")
Something Corporate - Traditional pop-punk with a twist. That twist is a piano. Maybe "pop-punk" isn't accurate. Most of their songs seem to lean towards emo.
The Starting Line - These guys are extremely young. Their lead singer just turned 19 a few days ago.
Steel Train - Another "different" one. These guys have a sound almost like The Beatles' later stuff.
(as well as a couple of bands that appear to be no longer together, such as The Benjamins and Fenix TX)
Other (non-Drive Thru) bands I really like include: The All-American Rejects, The Ataris, Dashboard Confessional, Don't Look Down, The Get Up Kids, MxPx, Saves The Day, Simple Plan, and Taking Back Sunday.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Great job resurecting this thread! I like it! :D
Anyways, I LOVE Good Charlotte!! They are, like, sooooooo punk. MTV said so. ;)
Now in all seriousness, Good Charlotte is a complete poser and sellout band. Here are my punk recommendations...
Less Than Jake (Losing Streak is one of the greatest ska albums ever made. One of the best ska bands ever)
Reel Big Fish (Another awesome ska band)
AFI
The Offspring (Especially pre-Americana stuff)
Bad Religion
Millencolin
Kemuri (Great Japanese Ska-Punk band)
Goldfinger (Before Open Your Eyes, where they turned into Blink-182 with a vegan frame of mind)
The Vandals
The Ernies (Best super-underrated band ever. Just about all their lyrics are related to science)
Pennywise
Ramones
Can't really think of too much else.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
This entire thread and nobody mentions Face to Face. I don't listen to much punk at all but 1993's Don't turn away and especially 1995's Big Choice are two of the best discs I own.

Definetly worth checking into. But I will warn you, the later discs I found terrible and bland.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I've been listening to Less Than Jake's new album Anthem non-stop for the past couple of weeks. I've always liked them, but I think this is some of their best material in years. Check out Hello Rockview and Losing Streak if you like them.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
They would never call themselves punk, but the early Jam is great stuff.
Some other great bands not mentioned:
Dead Milkmen
Toy Dolls
New York Dolls
Lyres
Replacements
Dinosaur Jr
Mekons
Jesus & Mary Chain
Social Distortion
Punk is hard to define, I forgot what I wrote about Green Day many moons ago. I still think it was pretty petty for a band to ban icecubes in a nightclub.
I have a 300 disc changer where I keep most of my cds from the 80s & 90s. I group them in catagorys like: Mod, punk, shoegazers, Britrock, New Wave, Neo Rockabilly Cuntry...
Very few actually are in the Punk section
Feel like going outside and rolling a hippie :D

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
No mention of the DESCENDENTS or the DAMNED? These have 2 of the best drummers that ever picked up sticks!

I totally agree with Jawbreaker and Naked Raygun and would also reccamend the Adicts if they weren't mentioned already.

I used to really like Fugazi but they just seemed a little too preachy after a while.

Matt

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I'll chim in, most of these are older bands thou, but then again most have been mentioned.

Dead Kennedys-Holiday in cambodia, need i say more

Vandels-Anarchy burger hold the government! and some other :)

Minor threat/fugazi..........

That is really all I listen too.....

R~

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I've been listening to Less Than Jake's new album Anthem non-stop for the past couple of weeks. I've always liked them, but I think this is some of their best material in years.
It's at least the best since Hello Rockview. Anthem is one of the catchiest CDs ever.

Also if you like Less Than Jake, then check out Reel Big Fish. They are very similiar.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have to add to check out the Bouncing Souls. They just put out a DVD a few months ago which gives an awesome history on the band which also includes a second disc with tons of live video. They have a new CD coming out in August, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks