Punk Rock Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music' started by Luc D, May 21, 2002.

1. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Looking for some modern Punk Rock (anyone who mentions Blink 182 will be murdered). Stuff along the lines of The Hives, The White Stripes (though they may not really embody "punk rock"), The International Noise Conspiracy etc.

Thanks

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Luc,
    I'd guess you're probably familiar with anything I'd suggest, as most of the record I like came out in the 90's!
    Figured I'd post a list for the benefit of anyone reading, but if you don't already have, get:
    the Party of Helicopters, Sleater-Kinney, Fugazi, Jawbox, refused, milemarker, rodan, gold circles, pretty girls make graves, mogwai, big black, shellac.
    If you're looking to go really "punk rock"- just stroll to your local newstand and pick up a copy of Maximumrockandroll. There should be hundreds of decent bands covered in there (years ago I discovered bands like Doc Hopper, John Couger Concentration Camp, Ten Yard Fight, Turbonego, Resin, etc from the pages of MRR).
    If you're looking to get more into the "indie/underground rock" stuff less than punk/hc- let me know, I could post a bunch.
    If you're looking to get off the beaten path a little for tuneful "punk rock", try stuff carried by Troubleman. http://www.troublemanunlimited.com/
    -V
    PS: Did you ever notice that Cdnow lists 6 of the Fugazi releases as "Best of Artist", One best on Genre, and one as part of the CD-Now Essentials collection. Funny that they have 6 "best of artist" releases!

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I Guess I am in the same boat as Vince, older bands that might be considered punk if you haven't already heard of

Husker Du

Pixies

Minutemen

Sham 69

Daisy Chainsaw

X

Most bands that consider themselves Punk today,are more like longue Lizards with bad haircuts.

Last time I saw Green Day at the Fillmore, they banned ice cubes for drinks cause people throw them at the band!

Well YEAH! they throw crap at the audience

went home and sold off my Green Day cds the next day

You can take the Brats out of the Burbs......

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have to say, I have a small soft spot in my heart for GD. I have never bought their records, or even found them all that interesting in any respect-- but I have a few reasons why I can't completely hate them.

1) I saw them open for Bad Religion years ago, pre-Dookie. The Singer guy, between songs said "Hey, wanna see my balls?" The crowd cheered, so he went through a painstaking process of hiking up a rip in his pants, so the audience could see just his balls. And that was all he exposed- it was very careful to only reveal his balls. Something about that struck me as funny.

2) Mike Watt once said that hey loved bands like GreenDay because, while they might be shitty- they will inspire a thousand kids to pick up a guitar and start their own band, because any kid can say "I can do that". That is something they won't say listening to "YES" or "King Crimson" anything like that. I found that to be an interesting point.

Granted, a million greenday influenced bands is not a gift to the world- hopefully a portion of these kids will be creating music with heart and nerve.

3) The band has given tons of money back to the "scene" which fostered them, namely the free clinic that they all visited in SF. Since you're from the area I'm sure you know, rather quietly these guys have made sure the network that supported them survives.

Just my thoughts.

-V

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'll second Doc Hopper, and add, Flipper, Dead Kennedy's, Germs and the Adolesents.

6. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Lemme chime in with Black Flag, Bad Brains, Bullet Lavolta (looks like one of their ex-guitarists, Clay Tarver, is now doing screenwriting -- see Joyride!), and Mission of Burma.

7. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Buzzcocks, 999, The Normal, Gang Of Four, Iggy, and many more.
    Anyone remember Plastic Bertrand? [​IMG]

8. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I suppose my old punk favorites, G.B.H., D.I., Circle Jerks, and Black Flag are too old?

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Let me also recommend Fugazi, Black Flag, and Husker Du. But no list of punk is complete without The Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Ya gotta remember your roots. [​IMG]

10. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

No Use for a Name

The Vandals

MXPX

NOFX

The Ataris

Chixdiggit

11. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Thanks for the input everybody.
    It's funny, I've never really liked punk rock before but for some reason over the last few weeks I can't get enough of it. My tastes seem to gravitate more towards the more "nostalgic" sounding bands. Stuff that has clear cues from bands like The Kinks, The Who, and even some of Led Zepplin's more "hard bluesy" stuff. I don't care at all for any of the American Punk bands some of you have mentioned. Really isn't a sound I find interesting at all.
    Fugazi, on the other hand, has me split. Some stuff I've heard so far I hate, some I absolutely love. I don't think I've ever heard a song like "Life and Limb" before.
    Anyway, thanks again! [​IMG]

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Go out and buy the first two albums from The Clash. Aw, hell, buy the whole f**king catalog. They are the best punk band ever.

13. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Black Train Jack

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I personally feel Fugazi is the perfect band. They are the most interesting rock act of the 1990's, certainly one of the more influential (almost every original and authentic "alternative rock" acts owed influence and paid respect to Fugazi), the most intense live band I've ever seen-- in every regard from how they conduct themselves as people, to their ethics and ideals as a band, to their music- I found them essentially flawless.

Bands from Pearl Jam (who borrowed lyrics from Fugazi left and right) to Nirvana, the Chili Peppers, Rollins Band, L7, Weezer, Sleater-Kinney, Pavement even bands like Sublime- heck everyone- they all pledged their love for what Fugazi had done.

Certainly, there is some material I like less than others-- I can't say I have ever found anything of theirs to hate.

You say you haven't heard anything like "Life and Limb", but if you digest each of their albums within context, the same could be said about dozens of their songs. When they were released, you hadn't heard anything like that-- and their innovation was quickly copied and became commonplace.

Near perfection and pure creative heat, live intensity that puts the bloated light shows of mainstream rockers to bed without supper, and they bring a big bag of rock. What more could a person ask for?

15. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

16. Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco Stunt Coordinator

I like Jets To Brazil, Sleater-Kinney, The Ataris, New Found Glory, etc.

17. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Luc,

Maybe you could try The Movielife, Avoid One Thing, Slick Shoes, or Kut u Up. Of course there's always The Strokes but the others are good bands that are a little different but still in the lines of what you're looking for.

NP: Less Than Jake - Pezcore

18. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My favorite punk band is the Misfits. They're an acquired taste due to alot of their violent and graphic lyrics. Back in the day they were friends with Black Flag, along with other punk bands. Their newer stuff sounds more like metal though. You could try them out.

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

If it turns out you fall in love with punk rock (and who wouldn't) check out
    The Entire History of Punk Rock
    Also, the following albums are must haves for people exploring the roots of punk:
    Nuggets: various artists
    Jonathan Richmond & the Modern Lovers (the first album on Rhino)
    Television: Marquee Moon
    Patti Smith: Horses
    Velvet Underground: White Light White Heat
    Wire: On Returning
    Dead Kennedy's: Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
    Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bullocks
    The Clash: London Calling
    Stiff Little Fingers: Peel Sessions
    Buzzcocks: Singles Going Steady
    Gang of Four: Enetrtainment
    Once you've listened to the above you'll realize how fake Green Day and Blink 182 is (sorry to their fans).

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Of course, as I predicted then, The Argument has grown on me. It's still not my favorite, but it's certainly worth a serious listen. I just wish they would have included the "rockin" songs from the Furniture single...

But, I think that anyone who could listen to 'Repeater' and not consider it one of the best rock records they've ever heard is insane.

-Vince