What's new

Pumpkin Patters (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone discovered a good source of patterns or images that would look good on a pumpkin? I'm not talking about simple patters, but tough ones, that will look great on a pumpkin.

In years past I have carved movies posters of Forbidden Planet, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Tarantula, and various dinosaurs.

One year, I did this dual portrait of Boris Karlof, which contained images of him out of makeup and in as The Monster.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought some of those foam pumpkins so as to keep the intricate patterns from year to year after carving.
Did you buy the Funkins, I think that's what they're called? I would really be interested in how you like them.

The reason I am able to carve some intricate patterns is because I don't carve all the way thru (most of the time). I only remove the outer skin and some of the flesh that comes away with the skin.

Speaking of large, when we went to the patch this year, we learned they still have the giant pumpkins and they also have some monster pumpkins that weigh over 100 lbs. Of course I bought one. It will be my large one this year.

Also, I do at least one large pumpkin a year. By large, I mean the ones that one man can't put his arms around. The size allows for more detail. Smaller ones are carved the same way but the pattern must have less detail.

The raven and skull sound interesting. I would like to have it. I have collected a bunch of patterns, or should I say images,over the past few years. I say images, because some of them are just that, like movie posters.

Whether it is a true pattern or just an image, I print it out to the size I need, and for the big ones, that takes several sheets. I tape them together, tape them on the pumpkin, and transfer the image with an exacto knife.

This means I am continually destroying the pattern. It would fall apart before I finish, so after a few cuts, I tape up the pattern where I cut it.

Once I'm done transferring the pattern, I remove it to see that I've got an exacto knife tracing of the image. I then use what is in effect a small chisel to remove the skin in the appropriate spots. I bought the tools I use at a hobby store.

Do you have anything in particular you are looking for? If I've got it, I'll send it to you. If you click on the email icon, you can email me. I'll reply and you will then have my email address. Once you reply back, I'll have yours.

Once I have yours, I'll send you a pic or two of my carved pumpkins.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The interior foam doesn't always cut neatly away, but it's not bad.
Is The interior foam orange? Do you think you could make a good carving with them by just removing the outer skin? The Funkins site had a side by side comparison showing how there's were better. Don't remember the details though.

Don't turn the house upside down looking for the pattern, I will still have plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks