Pulp Magazine Collectors - I have a question for you

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Jul 14, 2002.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Never thought I'd ask this here at the HTF, but I'll give it a shot;

I have a small collection of Shadow pulps, all in mylar bags with boards. Is this the best way to store these magazines?

My thinking is that perhaps there are bags that are specifically made in their of size and weight to safeguard pulps better than a comic book/magazine bag.

If anybody has any tips or links, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

-g

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I used to have hundreds of old pulp titles I picked up at science-fiction conventions. Your protection method sounds good. Your main objective from there is to store them in a cool, dry, dark place. Woodpulp paper yellows more quckly than any other, and so light is a major enemy.

Wish I still had all those old copies of Amazing Stories, Thrilling Wonder Stories, Planet Stories, and Astounding (though the latter title actually featured trimmed pages!).

I love the look of old pulp magazines.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I concur with Jack's opinon: "cool, dry, dark". It's the mantra of the paper collecting world (and has served my movie poster collection well since 1978). Just make sure the boards you are using are certified "acid-free" or "archival".
    For supplies, try Bags Unlimited at http://www.bagsunlimited.com . Outstanding customer service and products all the way. Click on the "Periodicals" link for your application.

4. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Thank you for the suggestions and tips gentlemen. I have them in a cool and dry place, and I'm always making sure that light stays away from them.
    Do you store yours flat or shelved? I've heard differing opinions on this.
    Jack- I would have loved to have seen your collection. The best I have seen in person belongs to a Shadow collector near my home who has every issue of Shadow Magazine in a barrister's bookcases.
    It was an amazing sight to see, and really got me exited to find these mags. Now that I think about it, my first win on Ebay was a Shadow pulp (wow.. forgot about that). It couldn't arrive fast enough.
    And I'm with you - pulps look fantastic, no matter what the title.
    Peter - The boards I use are standard comic boards, which I know aren't ideal and are a temporary supplies that I need to replace.
    Thank you for the link. I'm going to give them a shot and get heavier bags (mils) for them.
    Much obliged! [​IMG]
    Gary

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, the printing ink wears off quickly on these old magazines, so vertical storage is preferable.

Peter: I had a collection of the original, Forry Ackerman-edited incarnation of Famous Monsters starting with issue #7. And I had a complete set of Castle of Frankenstein, the best "movie monster" magazine ever published, IMO.

Gary: My collection would have blown you away. It was impressive.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jack, my FM collection starts somewhere in the #80s (mid-1970s) or thereabouts. I bought a few early back issues, but became a poster collector instead [​IMG] ! I still have about a dozen or so Castle of Frankenstein issues on hand, as well. I agree, it had the best writing of any genre mag - Cal Beck was a *major* fan of 2001 and he wasn't afraid to be political. I remember marveling at how he managed to include Nixon, Kubrick, the Vietnam War and The Exorcist in one issue of a monster magazine!
    What happened to your collections? I hope you were able to sell them off for some big bucks. I'm planning on financing much of my son's college education with my various items...

8. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Again, thank you gentlemen for your opinions. I had read somewhere that pulps should be stacked, but that never made sense to me, for the same reasons both of you mentioned. I'm going to mine as they are.

Dan, I'm curious about what happened to your collection as well. I hope it was for the best (though I wish I could have seen it).

-g

p.s. Bags Unlimited has a definite sale from me. It has such a great selection that my comics, vhs tapes, paperbacks (my Shadow reprints especially), and magazines may all get a bag upgrade. Thanks again Peter!