Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown (Was I robbed $5?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Kousoulas, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Before heading to work, I stopped by Circuit City at 10am to buy the Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown DVD's. (I had read in this forum that the Jackie Brown DVD has a coupon or something that you tear off to get $5 off the price for both. ALL of the JB's did not have the coupon (They did however have a sticker with the same infomation.) As advertised, the DVD's were on sale for $16.99. But after I received my receipt, I noticed that one of the discs was not $11.99 as I figured it would be. I asked the cashier, who didn't seem to understand what I was asking, even though I showed her the sticker and the store flyer. She responded by saying "The $5 was already taken off. That's why both movies are $16.99, not $19.99". I didn't agree with this in my mind, but time was short and I had to make it to work so I left. Was I cheated out of $5? Did anybody else run into the same problem?

Dean

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yes. The coupon is a manufacturer's coupon, as good as a $5 gift certificate, essentially. The retailer will get paid back $5 for every redeemed coupon they turn in, with corroborating evidence to prove it was redeemed and not just nicked off the box. I think you've been had.

Discussions about this topic - good and bad experiences - are going on already in the HTF Coupons and Bargains section, one on JUST the "rebate" and another one as part-and-parcel of my Weekly Roundup thread.

Luckily, I had a good experience.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

You'd better head back to Circuit City. I bought these two titles there and they took $2.50 off of each title (originally $16.99, they each rang up $14.49) so the cashier was wrong.

4. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

My local Best Buy was right in line with what I read here. Each title was $15.99, I received $5 off buying both, and I got a free copy of From Dusk Til Dawn.

You should go back.

5. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

Here was the way I bought them at the best price (locally). Circuit City was offering the discs (PULP FICTION & JACKIE BROWN) for $16.99 each. IF you purchased BOTH DVDs then Circuit City took an additional $5.00 off the purchase. Now the rub here was that BestBuy had a lower individual price of $15.99 each. I went into CC with my BB ad and got the discs at $15.99 each plus $5.00 off because I purchased them both. (I paid $13.39 each for PF & JB)

Inside the packaging of both PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN were coupons to send in to get additional savings/rebates. I haven't checked them out but I believe that the PULP FICTION DVD had a coupon for a rebate if you had purchased the previous release. Something Disney has been doing for videotape owners of their animated films.

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Mark, by going to CC instead of BB, you got the price match on the titles, but missed out on the the free From Dusk Til Dawn DVD BB was giving away with the purchase of PF/JB. Three movies for $28!

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

9. Cal S

Cal S Stunt Coordinator

If you went to CC you got taken. BB had the sweetest deal.

And not only did I get all the deals mentioned above, getting $60 worth of films for about $25. I can sell my used PF for a few bucks to Moving Trading Company.

10. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

An even sweeter deal is if you went to the BB in NYC during the tax free days (8/20-8/22).

11. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

14. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Is that Dusk til Dawn DVD special at BB good through the weekend or only yesterday? Three movies for 30 bucks? Can't beat that with a stick...

dan

15. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    IIRC, the additional deals (found inside the case) are:

Another $5 off if you own the origial Pulp Fiction DVD.
    Another $2 off if you purchase the new PF soundtrack.
    Another $2 off if you purchase the new JB soundtrack.

That makes both DVD's $11 for me ($15.99 at BestBuy, minus $5 for each). Awesome deal!

16. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

Unfortunately no Best Buy in my area seems to have the From Dusk till Dawn dvd. I went there yesterday, and I called them today and the sales rep told me that they never received any. Does anyone else have the same problem?

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Best Buy has handled this entire Tarantino promotion very badly. Yes, I got the five bucks off. But, I had to get a raincheck for Dusk. Couldn't they have ordered enough to match the Jackie/Pulp quantities? ALL of th employees at my local Best Buy had no clue about this promotion of the free DVD and $5.00 off.

18. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

you expected a blue shirt to understand their own promotion [​IMG]

19. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

The BB in my area had "20 FDTD DVD's per store with no rainchecks" in their flyer. I managed to get the deal ($5 off and FDTD DVD) with no questions asked.
    Chris

20. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt