1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown-Sept 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I thought these were out on the 27th, but futureshop.ca is listing these as shipping the following week. Does this mean that there are separate Canadian releases for these discs? If so, are there any differences?

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Alliance are releasing these DVDs 2 weeks later in Canada than the US. Gotta love those bilingual covers!

3. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Get ready to join the legions of unhappy Canadians, Chris...

4. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

I don't mind the bi-lingual covers as long as they're stickers or something on the plastic wrap. If it's imprinted on that VERY classy looking cover, I'll pay extra and order one from the U.S. Any idea exactly WHAT they're doing with the Canuck versions? Thanks. -Mike

5. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

The US release is tomorrow 8/20 not 8/27! So it's a two week wait if the 9/3 date is correct for Canada.

6. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Yeah, we've been complaining about it in the official PF thread... check the last two pages.

As to what they're doing to the covers, I'm guessing it will look like the Amelié cover, hopefully. Just a spine logo replacement.
    But I'm still importing the US version

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm doing the same thing myself. The PF/JB delay was the last straw for me. Now Alliance will definitely not get any of my money for those releases, Blade II or Amelie. I wonder if they will screw up the release for the LOTR extended cut?[​IMG]

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

We could order it from the slowest US dvd e-tailer and use the worst shipping method possible (fed-ex packmule) and STILL get it before it streets here. And it won't have that stupid french sticker. Who the hell cares about french language tracks? Canada isn't France and Quebec isn't the capital city.

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"As to what they're doing to the covers, I'm guessing it will look like the Amelié cover, hopefully. Just a spine logo replacement."
    Yes, and a logo change to the bottom of the front cover. I don't believe there's any french text on the packaging whatsoever, but there IS a french track for both.
    Blade II, however, will be bilingual cover art. Can't wait to pick up "Le Spectre De Blade II" September 3rd! [​IMG]
    Jason

10. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jason, will there be any differences on the actual discs for Blade 2, Pulp and Jackie?

I'm talking about dts tracks and extra features...

Thanks in advance...

11. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

12. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Sigh. No, but if memory serves, Canada is the second largest French speaking country in the world. I don't like any delays of discs either (especially if they end up doing hatchet jobs on the covers), but let's be reasonable in our complaints, OK?

I'm sure this has been covered in previous threads, but since there are no changes to the discs, why the delays? I know they have to redesign covers, get them printed, etc., but is that enough to create these delays again and again? Is it due to the lateness that they receive the final cover work before they can start their changes?

13. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Watching Pulp Fiction with the french language track is the equivalent of watching Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon with the english dub.

"mmmmmm, les burger est tres manger bon!"

Disgusting.

14. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I don't mind French language tracks, as it makes the DVD more accessible to a wider audience. Even cover manipulation isn't that annoying. However, delays by two weeks are inexcusable.

15. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Changing the cover isn't that big a deal, it has no effect on your enjoyment of the disc. Covers might as well be black and white with the title on the front and disc details printed on the back.

16. Chris Bardon

Well, either way I decided to order these from Amazon.ca and get the best of both worlds. They're starting to ship today (meaning that they'll be the US versions), plus there's the added benefit of getting them sooner rather than later. With the free shipping for a $75 order it's almost as good a price as I'd get if I bought it all at Future Shop in two weeks. Adding on Reservoid Dogs (also delayed) and the Sopranos season 3 gives me a huge $200 box of discs coming in sometime next week.

mmm...broke...

17. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Gui A,
    According to the Amazon.ca site, GST and PST will get tacked onto the order (books however are exempt from PST).
    I still found it cheaper ordering from Amazon.com instead.
    Using Share the Love on both titles and applying a $5 promo GC (for orders of $35+), the total (with S&H and accounting for the exchange rate) will be damn close to the price of picking it up at Futureshop.
    My total comes to approx. $67 CAD for both titles.
    It usually takes 4 days to arrive in Toronto and no customs charges will get applied.

18. Chris Bardon

Marc, are you sure that there are no customs charges? Last time I ordered from Amazon, I had to pay the taxes on the order on delivery, plus the "$5 for opening the package" charge at the border.

Amazon.ca does charge taxes, but they also ship from within Canada, so theoretically the shipment should be faster. Any idea when they ship with respect to street dates? Since I have Reservoir Dogs and Sopranos in there they'll hold the whole thing until next week, but I'm wondering if Amazon ships on street date, or so you'll have the discs for street date.

19. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Chris,

As long as you use standard shipping, you shouldn't get dinged with customs charges.

I've made over 50 orders at Amazon.com (during the days of earning Gift Certificates) and have never been dinged by cutoms. A co-worker of mine has made about 35 orders and has never had customs charges applied either.