What's new

Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown-Sept 3? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I thought these were out on the 27th, but futureshop.ca is listing these as shipping the following week. Does this mean that there are separate Canadian releases for these discs? If so, are there any differences?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Alliance are releasing these DVDs 2 weeks later in Canada than the US. Gotta love those bilingual covers!

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind the bi-lingual covers as long as they're stickers or something on the plastic wrap. If it's imprinted on that VERY classy looking cover, I'll pay extra and order one from the U.S. Any idea exactly WHAT they're doing with the Canuck versions? Thanks. -Mike

SvenS

Second Unit
The US release is tomorrow 8/20 not 8/27! So it's a two week wait if the 9/3 date is correct for Canada.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Yeah, we've been complaining about it in the official PF thread... check the last two pages.

As to what they're doing to the covers, I'm guessing it will look like the Amelié cover, hopefully. Just a spine logo replacement.
But I'm still importing the US version

Ned

Supporting Actor
We could order it from the slowest US dvd e-tailer and use the worst shipping method possible (fed-ex packmule) and STILL get it before it streets here. And it won't have that stupid french sticker. Who the hell cares about french language tracks? Canada isn't France and Quebec isn't the capital city.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"As to what they're doing to the covers, I'm guessing it will look like the Amelié cover, hopefully. Just a spine logo replacement."
Yes, and a logo change to the bottom of the front cover. I don't believe there's any french text on the packaging whatsoever, but there IS a french track for both.
Blade II, however, will be bilingual cover art. Can't wait to pick up "Le Spectre De Blade II" September 3rd! :frowning:
Jason

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jason, will there be any differences on the actual discs for Blade 2, Pulp and Jackie?

I'm talking about dts tracks and extra features...

Thanks in advance...

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Blade II, however, will be bilingual cover art. Can't wait to pick up "Le Spectre De Blade II" September 3rd!
I don't speak french so bare that in mind when reading the following. Are you sure about the title? I couldn't find a french title for Blade II. DvdSoon lists it as Blade II when using the french interface and Imdb has no alternate title.

I don't mind if the back cover is bilingual but the front and especially the spine bilinguality bugs me. I don't understand why make covers that are bilingual on the same side. There is no need for two languages on the same side since the covers are also reversible.

With Blade 1 the bilingual cover was ridicilous.
"Blade" is written twice on the spine. One from left to right and the other upside down and from right to left. I guess the french speaking people had to read "Blade" upside down before they could understand it.

Why write it twice when the title is the same in both languages? If there is no "real" french title for "Blade II" then why mess with the cover, but we will most likely have a cover that has "Blade II" written twice on the spine so that everyone can understand that the name is "Blade II".

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Sigh. No, but if memory serves, Canada is the second largest French speaking country in the world. I don't like any delays of discs either (especially if they end up doing hatchet jobs on the covers), but let's be reasonable in our complaints, OK?

I'm sure this has been covered in previous threads, but since there are no changes to the discs, why the delays? I know they have to redesign covers, get them printed, etc., but is that enough to create these delays again and again? Is it due to the lateness that they receive the final cover work before they can start their changes?

Ned

Supporting Actor
Watching Pulp Fiction with the french language track is the equivalent of watching Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon with the english dub.

"mmmmmm, les burger est tres manger bon!"

Disgusting.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I don't mind French language tracks, as it makes the DVD more accessible to a wider audience. Even cover manipulation isn't that annoying. However, delays by two weeks are inexcusable.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Changing the cover isn't that big a deal, it has no effect on your enjoyment of the disc. Covers might as well be black and white with the title on the front and disc details printed on the back.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, either way I decided to order these from Amazon.ca and get the best of both worlds. They're starting to ship today (meaning that they'll be the US versions), plus there's the added benefit of getting them sooner rather than later. With the free shipping for a $75 order it's almost as good a price as I'd get if I bought it all at Future Shop in two weeks. Adding on Reservoid Dogs (also delayed) and the Sopranos season 3 gives me a huge $200 box of discs coming in sometime next week.

mmm...broke...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Gui A,
According to the Amazon.ca site, GST and PST will get tacked onto the order (books however are exempt from PST).
I still found it cheaper ordering from Amazon.com instead.
Using Share the Love on both titles and applying a $5 promo GC (for orders of $35+), the total (with S&H and accounting for the exchange rate) will be damn close to the price of picking it up at Futureshop.
My total comes to approx. $67 CAD for both titles.
It usually takes 4 days to arrive in Toronto and no customs charges will get applied.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Marc, are you sure that there are no customs charges? Last time I ordered from Amazon, I had to pay the taxes on the order on delivery, plus the "$5 for opening the package" charge at the border.

Amazon.ca does charge taxes, but they also ship from within Canada, so theoretically the shipment should be faster. Any idea when they ship with respect to street dates? Since I have Reservoir Dogs and Sopranos in there they'll hold the whole thing until next week, but I'm wondering if Amazon ships on street date, or so you'll have the discs for street date.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

As long as you use standard shipping, you shouldn't get dinged with customs charges.

I've made over 50 orders at Amazon.com (during the days of earning Gift Certificates) and have never been dinged by cutoms. A co-worker of mine has made about 35 orders and has never had customs charges applied either.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Could have sworn that I'd paid something to get my Amazon order-might have just been that the shipping was something like 7 bucks for the first disc, and then four each after that. Either way, amazon.ca is offering free express (assuming that this is CP Xpresspost) shipping if you spend $75. I worked it out based on the FS web prices, and it's consting me a little more to get the discs, but I get em sooner, delivered to my door, without the bilingual covers, and the reservior dogs cover that I wanted (I have no idea which ones will be available in stores).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks