Pulp Fiction CE - Packing Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason-Walsh, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Jason-Walsh

Jason-Walsh Extra

Maybe someone can help me out. I am trying to decide what to do. To get the Canadian version of this disk at my local store (I tend not to buy online) or order from an American online store. Now, what are the real differences in the packaging?

I know the Canadian version has the french bi-lingual covers that Alliance is so found of but what of the material the slip case is actually made of? The American one "looks" like it's thick and textured. The canadian version looks textured as well but isn't. It's simply the photograph they used to simulate texture. Really cheesy.

anybody?

PS: This is my first thread (not my first post) so hi to everybody out there!

- J.

2. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

The Canadian packaging is much cheaper looking than the American one...I'd strongly recommend you go with the American release, as the packaging seems to be improtant to you - as it is to me.

A friend of mine has the Canadian packaging, and it's already falling apart, and looks a lot cheaper. My sturdy American packaging is great.

Go with the American versions.

3. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I've heard the Canadian version is missing the Jack Rabbit Slims menu replica too. I can't be sure though since I have neither version. I'll pick up this and Jackie Brown when I'm in the States later this year. AA really screwed up on these releases.

4. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chad, I forgot to mention that. The menu is indeed missing from the Canadian DVD.

5. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

To really see the difference between American packaging and Alliance Atlantis packaging, simply seek out the old and new versions of the Se7en Platinum Series. When it was originally released in 2000, Canadian stores stocked the New Line packaging; earlier last year AA released their own bilingual packaging; I was absolutely amazed over how cheap the new packaging was - the American release was much, much sturdier.

6. Jason-Walsh

Jason-Walsh Extra

Hey, thanks everyone... you've just pushed me in the direction i was already heading.. and it looks like after conversions It'll be cheaper from the States also! (that's a switch.. [​IMG] )

Daniel P: It's not so much that packaging is important to me, I normally don't mind the dual language releases past 2 or 3 days of groaning but this one's different. I just want a quality product and the ALliance set doesn't seem to be one. I have it in my hand right now (borrowed from a friend) - he's had it maybe 2 months and it looks like it's been lost under the couch cushion for twice that. And he's careful with his discs! [​IMG]

Mike: Thanks for the heads up. I will definatly check out Seven next time I'm in the store. I didn't know Alliance redid that disc. I'm just thankful I got it for Christmas that year (2000). [​IMG] It would look pretty nasty next to the fine piece of work that is FIGHT CLUB! (I organize by director).

Again, thanks all!

J.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Just a note: be wary of any Alliance Atlantis release, they almost always (actually, I can't find a contrary example so far, among what I have) reduce content in their Canadian releases. I don't care about the French on the packages since I don't watch them. I do care when AA puts on a more compressed image or removes a dts track.

It is interesting you found a lower price on any DVD in the U.S. I almost never have, except for a few Criterions and the "first day" sales at some B&M's. Even U.S. online places are more expensive than most of the B&M's I frequent, but then I'm a cheapskate. When you buy 2-300 DVD's a year, even a $ saved on each adds up...

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    OK, OK, I didn't know about that one...AFAIK it *is* identical. But I didn't know it was AA, it sure doesn't look like AA, there is absolutely nothing on the package that indicates AA, or that it is a Canadian version. I don't recall the wrapper, which usually has an AA mark on it. However, I do recall checking up on it, so I must have been suspicious about something. Anyway, my warning still stands to Canadians, be wary of AA releases for de-contenting compared to U.S. releases, especially regarding their distribution of non-U.S. films. For instance, the upcoming The Fast Runner is a Canadian film to be distributed by AA: let's see if they don't "cheat" us on this one. I hope not, no excuse for this case (i.e. content licensing).

10. MarcinL

MarcinL Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

I have the Canadian version of Pulp Fiction and my copy DOES have the Jack Rabbit Slims menu.

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    By the way, are you getting this mainly for the extras or the transfer? There aren't as many extras on the Korean release (it does have the deleted scenes though) but the transfer is far superior to the recent Miramax special edition. It is coded Region 0 and will work in all players.

Korean Version

Jeff

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I too have the Canadian packaged Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown. The packaging isn't as cheap as being indicated here (although it is multi-ligual, it is as sturdy as the Seven disc I have, which is the 1st print of the SE by New Line, which in Mikes opinion is a good comparison of the US packaging.), And I have the Jack Rabbit Slims Menu to boot.

So are there 2 versions? I bought them together in a 2 pack at my local Future Shop. The 2 pack had no special attraction, other than a price savings advantage on first day sale. It was just the 2 shrink wrapped together.

14. Mike Graham

Mark_vdH

15. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Mike, it was the Memento SE I was speaking of above, the one I have, I've never even seen the non-SE around here. Sorry for inferring all versions were the same.

Russell, I have the "Canadian" SE versions of Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction bought separately, and they also have sturdy covers, not particularly flimsy as these things go, but neither nothing special. You should know that the early versions of these SE DVD's made in Markham (Canada) were all defective, but since the double-packaging of these DVD's was relatively recent (at least around here at FS), I doubt you'd get either of the original bad discs.

16. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

17. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

18. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

19. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

20. Mike Graham

Just to clarify, I bought the Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown discs without hesitation in Canada, even though I was well aware of the fact the Jack Rabbit Slim's menu wasn't included in Pulp and the packaging probably wouldn't be as sturdy.

Its just a minor irratation; yes, packaging doesn't matter that much! Its the disc content that matters. However, is it so hard to just keep the same style and material of the American release? Apparently not. Either way, all special editions in the US are the same in Canada, so in truth it really is a non-issue.