What's new

Pulling wire questions. (1 Viewer)

perrin26

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerald
HI,

After checking out the cost of getting someone to do wiring for me, I am thinking of doing this myself (except for the power outlet)

I need to pull wire through some difficult areas, and I was wondering if I could get some insight and tips for how to approach some of the issues that are coming to mind here.

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/e/e8/avatar-60-7.jpg">[/url]
Ok, So in the above picture you can see the TV will go above the gas fireplace. I know that most of the units in our townhouse complex have this installed in this place, but I do have some concerns about getting wires from the left hand side where the TV is sitting in the picture, and threading them through the fireplace area where the TV will be. I am guessing I will want the outlets for the TV to be in the middle somewhere where it won't interfere with the mount. I am also guessing that more than likely the power outlet will need to be a distance from the receiver outputs for reasons of interference.

The other issues I have, being that there is this gas fireplace there, how will the heat affect the TV and wires in the wall if at all.
For threading the speaker wire through the wall. The Dark Grey areas of the wall I believe are probably ventilation ducts which may or maynot be hooked into this gas fireplace (I have no idea, however since it's on the same wall as the rangehood for the kitchen and the Fireplace I think there is a good chance.) My question is the ventilation duct going to be hot with the fireplace there in the winter, how do I get the wires around it without there being issues. I have to thread wires up to the ceiling since the speakers are going to be in the cieling. I have to go up the wall from where the TV is now, and over top of the ventilation duct I think....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would use CL rated speaker wire from Lowes or get everything CL rated from Monoprice.com.

What is above that room? Attic - then it should be pretty easy. I have run literally thousands of feet of different cables in my house. As long as I have access to the top plate of the wall, it is a simple task to drill a hole through it and drop the wires in. Insulation and fire-breaks become big issues but this is your house so you should know how it is constructed. Let me be clear. I am offering you no advice on running wires near your fireplace. I would contact an electrician to determine the safety of that.

You are new so you don't know where we stand as a forum on fireplace mounted TV's. We don't like them. Stare up at the ceiling for a few hours and tell me how your neck feels. TV's should be eye level based on your favorite seat. Same with speakers. But we all make sacrifices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks