What's new

Pulling the trigger tomorrow! (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well after classes and work tomorrow, I'm going to hit Best Buy, and purchase a Panny 53WX42. Any last minute advice.

BTW...I also wanted to thank all of you guys for helping me choose a TV.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
why bset buy
circuit city has this for $1708. Onecall has it for $1710 SHIPPED. Make circuit city give it to you for $1710 SHIPPED or no deal. be aggressive. Unless they give you something free like a dvd player (or exchange it for a progressive scan). This is the best bang for the buck, I believe, the 53wx42.

-ELmO

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Best Buy, becase they have 24 month no interest financing through Saturday. And they've also got it for 1708...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
24 months no interest! Wow. If you don't like it in a year, just sell it and invest the money in something else.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Earlier today, I was just a boy...but now I am a man. I got a sweet deal on it too...it was 1730 with tax and delivery!
Woo Hoo...it'll be here Wednesday.
I'm wondering...at the tender age of 20, am I the youngest owner of this tv :)
Thanks for the help guys!

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Just one piece of advice.

DON'T PUT YOUR EXPECTATIONS WAY UP IN THE SKY!

I did so much research that I was prepared to be knocked off my socks when I first turned on my set (same as you are buying) and slipped in DVD on my also new RP82 prog scan player.
It didn't happen (and I calibrated using S&V HT Tune Up). First of all the TV is kind of getting its legs under it when you first turn it on. After a few days/weeks, the picture seems to improve, or at least your eyes become more accostumed to it.
One of the first thing you'll notice, is that you will be able to see grain in many DVD's. This is just how some films are shot (either by design or else), you just were not able to notice this on smaller screens.
The next thing you might notice is that there will not be much difference between watching a DVD in interlaced vs. progressive. In time, you'll start seeing the little nuiances that make prog better.
Another thing you may notice is that your black levels may be to black and you will loose some detail in dark parts of the picture in prog mode. If you try to turn the brightness up to compensate, the very dark areas turn an unhealthy bright, hazy gray. This has been discussed elsewhere and is common on RPTV's because of agressive gamma level settings. Apparently, this can be corrected through the service menu which I'll probably attempt when the warranty expires.
In all, if you are going from a 27"er you are going from scaled down anamorphic, interlaced, small, lower resolution, to full vertical resolution, progressive, large and almost twice hor resolution and you expect this to be blinding beauty and may get slightly disspointed because of excessive expectations.

Now the good news. As time goes by and you learn to tweak your TV and come to realize that you are seeing an image blown up several time compred to your old tube and this image looks very solid (unlike non HDTV's) and movement is so natural and you are able to discern the little objects you weren't able to see before and get more inmersed into the film, you will be glad you got into it and will forgive the little imperfections here and there.

An electronic and manual focus adjustments comes very recommended from many folks over at the panny.tv website and if you do it carefully, nobody will be able to tell you did it. I have still not done it but will do it probably next week. I'm just putting some hours on it before I do. Poor focus is one the first things I noticed and I believe makes my picture somewhat soft which bothered me a lot at first.

Anyway, enjoy your new set and make sure to share any findings on settings and the like.

Regards.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Don't worry, I'm not expecting a night and day difference...I'm just expecting a larger/film-like image. And I'm wicked excited about it too :)
...also can't wait to play the Cube in 480p.
Thx for the suggestions...I'll make sure to check panny.tv.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
damn you dude i'm 22 i thought i would win some award...how'd you talk it down? It's $1708. I only hav e8 feet..I sat 8 feet back at best buy and it didn't look nearly as good as it did from 12-15 feet back (looked amazing there..but couldnt make out detail...).

Wish I could sit farther back..maybe I have to go with the much smaller 47" version?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I actually didn't talk them down at all...it just rung up at ~1620. Then plus tax and delivery came to 1730. Gotta love that!

I'll be sitting 9 feet away, and I'm content with the quality.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Congrats Matt! I'm jealous and will be VERY envious when you have AOTC and the Extended Fellowship dvd's on that glorious HDTV set. I probably could have bought one myself if I hadn't gone to see AOTC so much!!!:D

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
1620??? Gah, why are Rear Projection sets SO much cheaper than CRT's???? I recently paid 2499.99 for my 34 inch widescreen Sony Trinitron XBR HDTV plus I needed to pay an additional 299.99 for the stand that was made specifically for the tv. Then I got the Monster Cable Component Cable 3 for 94.99

So I paid more than 3000 with tax versus 1730 with tax on your part for a set that is 19 inches smaller than yours????

There's gotta be some reason many RPTV's are so ridiculously cheap!!!!

By the way, I'm 19.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Woo Hoo! It's here!

I just calibrated it (still haven't done convergence yet), and I watched the last half of an hour of LOTR, and it looks amazing. I'm not seeing any of the line structure at 8.5 feet.

I'm sooo happy!

Thanks guys for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks