Pulling the Trigger - 47wx53

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt Lee, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Well, especially now that I've seen the actual prices for the Best Buy sale tomorrow (and financing options), I am going to be finally getting one of these bad boys (Panasonic 47wx53), and I imagine, as long as I don't run into the dreaded "Evil Pop" I should be very happy with it. I can't wait to start rewatching DVDs I own and spending way too much buying new ones. I'm going to be gone some of this week so I'm having it delivered next monday (or later) when I return so my heathen roommates can't get their hands on it before I properly drop brightness/contrast and all that. In fact, hopefully my preordered copy of Digital Video Essentials will be here by then and I can do some calibration as soon as I get it (or as soon as its recommended?)

So I guess to make this post a little more than "Hooray for me, I'm finally buying a TV!" (though I do owe my decision almost entirely to HTF for leading me to this specific TV and making me confident in my purchase) I'll ask one quick little question.

I know you're not supposed to converge it until something like 20 minutes after its on, but I seem to remember something else about not doing service level convergence until a certain amount of time? I plan to eventually do service-level but will probably be happy with the 9-point for awhile. So, how long should I wait before I do service level convergence, and is there any reason to wait any amount of time before using Digital Video Essentials on it? Thanks.

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Congrats on your eventual purchase. I plan on getting a new tv myself either today or very soon as well.

capt

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You should generally wait at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, before doing any convergence. The set needs to warm up a bit first. As for service level convergence, that's up to you. But if you don't want to have to fiddle w/ that every week, you might want to save that for after the first month or so (or roughly 100 hours of usage), unless you think it's absolutely needed. This suggestion is made because convergence WILL drift some over that initial period before settling down for longer periods.

RE: the "evil pop", seems like they might've reduced the likelihood nowadays -- seems so at least w/ last year's models. I have the 53wx42 from last year.

Enjoy and congrats! [​IMG]

_Man_

4. Eddie Sanchez

I just bought one (Panasonic 47wx53) Sunday after seeing Best Buy $1399 price with 18 month no intrested. I had to buy it. I had been wanting to buy one of this for the past 2 years. It won't be delivered till Thursday. I don't know alot of about "convergence" what is it,why do you have to do it,what do you mean it will drift and why would you need a "service-level: I know alot of questions but if there is pro out there help me out please thanks...

5. Charles Shultz

Charles Shultz Auditioning

convergence is the process of converging the 3 CRTs that produce the image on the screen. you are aligning them so the picture will not 'ghost', or shift in placement between the 3 CRTs. this is very important in producing a good picture and the reason it is nice to have many points of convergence is to get the best alignment possible. the convergence can drift as the CRTs age and expand when they are turned on and heat up, etc.

i dont want to take your post but i am also considering the PT-47WX53 and i have a couple questions i was hoping someone might know:

1. i saw that it only has 9 point convergence from the user menu - does the service menu have more points, and if so can someone give me the service menu code?
    2. is the SVM defeatable from either menu?
    3. i read contradicting posts on this so i would like to ask - can the unused inputs be defeated?

thank you and again, sorry to redirect the post.