Pulled the trigger today! SVS20-39+ on its way!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Juan_T, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Its arriving on Tuesday!! Cant wait!

now, to buy some nice clean low hz DVDS!

2. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

You made a great choice! I've had my 20-39PC+ for almost 2 years and it is worth EVERY penny!

It will take weeks to stop smiling everytime you hear something awesome on one of your DVD's.

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Man you completely messed up buying that thing.

Should've gone with a PB2+ or Ultra. ha ha [​IMG]

Though in all honest I wish I would've gotten the PC-Ultra...hmmm TV12 goodness.

4. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Yea, too bad it meant spending an extra 400$!!!

The TV-12 does look sweet.. anyways, gotta start from somewhere.. As it is, this is probably an overkill anyways![​IMG]

5. DavidCooper

Trust me Juan..you did good.

My living room is 15.5' wide by 25' long with a vaulted ceiling that runs from 8' to 12'. It also has an equally wide opening to the dinning/kitchen area as well as the hallway. It's a pretty big space and my SVS has no problem filling it with amazingly accurate bass.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The TV-12 does look sweet.. anyways, gotta start from somewhere.. As it is, this is probably an overkill anyways!
    __________________________________________________ _______

One good place to start at the upper echelon of the sub-chain.

Congrats

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

OH NO!!!!! YOU'RE HAD NOW !!!!

You've joined the ranks of us bass heads around here and I do believe you will love it. Properly calibrated with your system, it's gonna astound you.
    I owned a 20-39PC for two years, upgraded it to the "i" model and then moved a PB2+ in..... It may be overkill for my 3100cf but I love it.....

Congrats and CRANK IT UP......

Just remember my sig....LOL

8. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

ITS OVER!!!! [​IMG]

9. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

David,

Thats similar to the room the subs going in!!

I cant wait for it to get here.. My wife is sort of skeptical that we need a sub..

btw, she doesnt know how it looks [​IMG] :wink: she thinks it probably a box.. lol, I gotta sneak in at lunch and place it in the corner of the living room.. buahaha!

10. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

you can easily lose an svs cylinder in the corner.... well kind of. [​IMG]

11. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys, Just got my SVS sub! OMG thats all Im going to say.. I wish I had other subs to compare it to, but this is my first sub, Well actually at my moms' house there's a Bose lifestyle35 but that doesnt count..(Yes, if I knew what I know now)

Anyways, I set my fronts to Large and the rest to small and the cross over at 80hz.. and it sounds great! I have the sub set at 2/5 of the power.. Its sooo overpowered. The first time I powered it up and ran thru the THX intro on T2, my eyes went blurry with the bass!!!!(i had it set at 3/5 on the sub) OMG.. is this bad for my health???

So, is this the way most people have it set? I was watching T2 and switched back from Large to Small on my mains.. and it definetly sounded better with the fronts speakers set at Large! I havent played around with the cross over .. Im getting my sound meter tomorrow.

people with similar setups, let me hear how you have'm set up![​IMG]

12. JohnWM

JohnWM Auditioning

Congrats! You will love your new toy!!!

Take the time to properly calibrate the sub. Get the AVIA DVD and send everyone out of the house for the afternoon and calibrate the sucker.

I you think the sound is awesome now you will not believe the detail you will hear when propely calibrated. I have had a 25-31pci for about two months now and love to watch movies now more than ever. Go to SVS site and get their recommended list of great bass and enjoy!

Their subs are everything they say they are and they are the best people to deal with!

13. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Hey John, thanks for the reply, quick question..

so when you set up your sub.. does that mean just setting it so that you get the same or greater amount of Db as the rest of the speakers? is that what setting it up means?

like setting up the output of all your speakers so that they all provide the same amount of sound pressure at the viewers position?

or is it more involved? also, should i get an equalizer for the sub?

if I have my speakers set up as Large and cross over at 80.. my Large speakers will still play under 80 hz right? so its just the rest of the speakers that get cut under 80 hz.. right?

thanks!

ps
    sorry I edited and added more questions! lol [​IMG]

14. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

With those speakers I would set (as a starter point)..

Klipsch RF-3= small 40hz. Or perhaps 60hz.
    RC-3= small 80hz.
    RS-3= small 80hz.

Set your subwoofer to 40hz (60hz in mains are set to 60hz) crossover on Denon setup, bypass the SVS's own crossover. Set sub sonic filter to 20hz (if no plugs inserted) then adjust Denon sub & SVS volume to between 73-78dB (if others are calibrated to 75dB)

15. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John, The only problem is that the lowest cross over available in the Denon AVR-3802 is 80hz. Also, it doesnt give you the option to set cross over frequencies for each individual speaker. Or, I'm I missing something?

16. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

That's a bit of nuisance :-( just small/large setting?

Definitely set set small to centre & rears. Large for mains could be too much for your speakers/amp in HT. Need to see for yourself. You might notice a improvement for HT when setting mains to small, re-directing bass to your sub. Perhaps for 2ch music use mains as large? (since not as much really low bass in music likely to bottom out your cones)

You might not need a PEQ to sort out the sub. Plot a repsonse graph.

17. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Congrats Juan_T!

Enjoy your new sub, and for your first sub you are head of the game. [​IMG]

18. DavidCooper

Juan...I have a similar receiver and the exact same sub as you already know. I have my Denon 2802's crossovers set at 80. All of my speakers are set to "small". The SVS gain (volume) is right at the half way mark. The sub setting on the Denon is usually a -1 sometimes I bump it up to 0 if I want a little more though.

All of this has been calibrated with an SPL meter and the Sound and Vision disk.

Just thought I'd post my settings for you to compare to! Have fun!

19. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

While you guys are talking about calibrating the sub I have a question. I am a little confused on the reason to calibrate it to a certain decibal. I completely understand the reason for the rest of the speakers.

I always think that for different movies, music, and how much bass you want you would always be changing the bass volume/output seperately from the MV and other speakers. If this is true...wouldnt calibrating it not be necessary?

20. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

"Juan...I have a similar receiver and the exact same sub as you already know. I have my Denon 2802's crossovers set at 80. All of my speakers are set to "small". The SVS gain (volume) is right at the half way mark. The sub setting on the Denon is usually a -1 sometimes I bump it up to 0 if I want a little more though."

OK! I did that, but for some reason while watching T2, it just felt a little bit like it was missing mids.. or 60HZ tones.. so thats why I kept them on Large. Or should I crank up the subs level? hmm..

"Definitely set set small to centre & rears. Large for mains could be too much for your speakers/amp in HT. Need to see for yourself. You might notice a improvement for HT when setting mains to small, re-directing bass to your sub. Perhaps for 2ch music use mains as large? (since not as much really low bass in music likely to bottom out your cones)"

So I could potentially damage my mains if I keep them in Large? Before when I didnt have a sub I used to keep them at large.. Hmmm..

So, If I leave the mains in Large, and the cross over set at 80hz.. it basically means that the rears and center wont see signals below 80Hz right?

Another question, when the Front speakers are set to large, does that mean that the sub is only playing the sub-80hz sound for the rears and center and totally not reproducing the Fronts as well?