What's new

Pulled the trigger on a Toshiba 57H94 (1 Viewer)

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after about 6 weeks of deliberation, i ended up going with an "old" CRT :D. I just could not justify spending nearly 3x as much on a new tech tv (Either SXRD or JVC 1080p).

Buying the cheaper CRT will allow me to upgrade some other areas (mainly subwoofer) as well as allow me to finish my basement and turn that into a dedicated theater room.

I got an ~ok deal from HH Gregg....$1620 OTD and delivered. Now i just need an upconverting DVD player and an HDMI Cable :D

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/impressions of this tv? I got it looking pretty good in the store on an HD feed of the 4pm football games.

Thanks

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Because you did not say what CRT TV you bought.

I personally think that was a great idea since I still watch a great deal of SD programming.

Must be a nice one for that price.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

He says it in the title of the topic. 57H94.

A nice set with nice calibration potential. Color accuracy is screwie out of the box though.

Regards

joseph westcott

Second Unit
I guees you learn something every day.

I did not know they made HD CRT's that big!!!

I recently read an article where it predicted a niche market for CRT's in the 30 to 40" range to compete with flat panels and they would have a very small footprint, relative to todays CRT.

Congratulations!

Sounds like it would be well worth having it calibrated. I would try it myself first but I am sure a pro could really make it shine!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Mind you ... he's talking about a CRT based RPTV. Not a direct view tube set.

Those tubes maxed out at 40" (discontinued a few years ago) and sony once debuted a 42" tube prototype... but it never went anywhere.

Regards

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
joseph made me think i was crazy for a min...thought for sure i had put the model # in there somewhere!!

Im glad to hear that it has good calibration potential....i have an ISF calibrator less than 10 min from my house.

How many hours should a set have on it before you do any sort of calibration?

Thanks
Jason

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I saw the huge Sony tube around 1990. It was 43 inches. It was being carried by 4 men with it on a platform and long handles on their shoulders.

I started with a 32 inch NEC. A very nice set actually. Moved on to the Toshiba 32 inch IDTV. It was great not having visible scan lines, but it could not do real black.

When that one died right after the warranty expired, and Toshiba told me that it needed a new mother board for $1,200, I got Toshiba to buy it back and bought a 35 inch IDTV by ProScan. Great blacks, 6 speaker audio with 7 band equalizer and tons of other features.

But when I got the hots for a big screen, my niece said, "if you want a big screen, get a REALLY big screen". So I did.

I got a Toshiba 65H84. With more and more material available on HD cable, and DVD, it is a pleasure to watch a really big screen without the issues of front projectors.

Congrats on your 57H94.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks