Pulled the trigger on a 20-39 PCI

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Patrick Nevin, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys

I finally pulled the trigger on getting a SVS 20-39 PCI. After much research on this forum and an email to Ron at SVS, which he also thought the 20-39 would be good for my room and listening levels. I ordered it yesterday at noon central time yesterday. I can't wait for it to come.

2. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Sure rub it in [​IMG]

Good choice though. That's what i would have got if i could make myself pay the money (can't do it though).

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Nice choice Patrick. What sub are you moving from?

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Congrats, Patrick. I also own the 20-39PCi and love it to death [​IMG]

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Now, just never hear a PB2-anything and you'll be good for a few years.... [​IMG]

6. Patrick Nevin

Thanks for the replys guys

Steve I currently have a Velodyne CHT-120

Garrett I don't know anyone else that owns a SVS sub so I guess that is a good thing for me.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Steve I currently have a Velodyne CHT-120
    __________________________________________________ _

Excellent! You have a whole new bass world opening up to you then. I used to run a couple of CHT-15s.

>>>Garrett I don't know anyone else that owns a SVS sub so I guess that is a good thing for me.

8. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

dawg i have hte 25-31 pci downstairs and it rules, even in a huge 20x20 room. i bought a 16x46, it's sitting in my room right now - waiting for my denon loaner receiver to come (before I get a pre-processor/amp):

[​IMG]

-ELmO

9. Patrick Nevin

Steve I can't wait for the SVS to come. I hope it shipps soon cause I have a 4 day weekend this week so I hope it come on wednesday or thursday. I haven't gotten the email if it shipped or not so I hope that arrives on monday. I mean that I don't know anyone close to me that has a SVS to compare to.

ELmO I am glad to hear that the 25-31 is able to fill your large room. That gives me more confidence in the 20-39 in my 12x8x8 room.

The SVS will be in the back of the room so should I set the phase at 180 like my current sub is.

Also when I calibrate the sub I use the AVIA and Rat Shack SPL meter. I use the right front speaker and balance the sub with that at 75dB. Should I use other speakers to balance the sub or just use one?

10. elMalloc

i guess with rat shack meter people say they pump the DB up on the subwoofer by 3 because the rat shack is insensitive on the sub (I guess?).
    -ELmO

11. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

No, apparently you set the subwoofer 3dB lower. So 75dB for 5.0 speakers, 72dB for subwoofer.

Although I set to 75dB...there isn't a "set in stone" level, although it's not a good idea to set subwoofer more than 10dB+ higher.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

That gives me more confidence in the 20-39 in my 12x8x8 room.
    __________________________________________________ ____

That size room won't be any problem what so ever Patrick. Your going to be sitting real good.

I would suggest you calibrate your sub to the same level as your speakers 75. After correction is applied, your actually going to be a couple of db's hot. Bump it up a few more for some disks and then down a few for others after you get acclimated to it.

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

In a 12x8x8 room you'll damage your hearing before you damage the PCi

14. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

good gosh that's a huge as$ sub. what svs sub would be good for a room that is 18 x 30 x 8? not sure of the seating right now. needing help on that bit.

15. Patrick Nevin

How I set the sub so it reads to 75dB is I have the meter set at 80 dB and when the sub is playing I have the needle on the line between -4 and -2 because I heard the meter reads 2 - 3 dB low. Am I right in doing it that way?

I was listening T3 and the Matrix for some scenes to compare my current sub to the SVS. I am going to have to do some more listening of movies and music before the SVS gets here.

Cause the sub will be in the back of the room should I set the phase to 180?

16. elMalloc

You set your rat shack meter at 70 and go up to 75 (not 80 and down).

Also I find it difficulty toc orreclty calibrate a subwoofer because of the insensitivity, I would calibrate to 75 - and turn it up or down on some movies before you settle in and get used to it.

It should not be noticeable, it should seem endlessly to all audio - giving it a "full" feel, and when the matrix guns come out - you sure as hell will notice it, son!

-ELmO[​IMG]

17. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Actually, you're supposed to calibrate to 85dB for DD reference level using Avia
    for the mains and surrounds. Wouldn't the sub be the same, 85dB?

18. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Congrats - you'll love it - mine keeps getting better and better - I wonder if there is a burning in period - it ounds better now then it did LAST month.

[​IMG]

19. elMalloc

Could be a burn in period who knows, mine sounded amazing the first time I heard it. I'll let you know how the 16-46 sounds in a 11x11 room.

20. Patrick Nevin

I just calibrated the velodyne to 75dB i am guessing cause the meter fluctuates allot and i justed average it out.

I haven't gotten a ups tracking number yet and I ordered it Friday afternoon. Should I contact SVS or wait another day?