Pulled between Projectors, some help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fahmi, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Fahmi

Fahmi Auditioning

Im right now in the process of doing my shopping for my new home theater system and im stuck on projectors. First i dont know how much of a difference there is in the DLP projectors with and w/o the HD2 chip. Right now im currently looking at these models,

InFocus Home Screenplay 7200
    NEC HT1000
    Panasonic PT-L750u
    PT-L300u
    SharpVision XV-Z10000U

There is a variety of different ones here, iv viewed the PT-L750u and PT-L300u up close and was pretty impressed, but i havent viewed the others. Im going to project a 120 inch screen in my basement and want some advice on which projector to get. if you have any other sugections for projectors please let me know, idealy i would not like to spend more than 6,000 on the projector and screen, but i have some flexability.

2. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

There is little difference in the chipsets. The new chip tilts the mirrors at 12 degrees instead of 10, so the theory is that there is less light fray in the "Off" state.
    However, in front of a 500 watt lamp, this percentage of light reduction is virtually undetectable.
    There is no difference in resolution. The new chipset is said to cost less to produce, resulting in a price reduction of products at retail.
    This seems to only bear relevance with Samsung, for they were the only major manufacturer at WCES that showed new models for a stated MSRP lower than current models with similar feature sets.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the HTF Fahmi.

The NEC HT1000, Panasonic L750U are native 4x3 XGA projectors so if your viewing will be primarily widescreen based material and HDef then you may want to drop these from your list. The Panasonic L300U really should not be mentioned int he same breath at the Infocus 7200 or the Sharp 10000U. You will note that they are also greatly different price brackets. The L300U is a lower resolution WVGA projector @ 960x520.

This really is a showdown between two US$10K (MSRP) projectors. Both the Sharpvision 10000U and the Infocus 7200 are newer generation HD2 DLP projectors with the 7200 probably coming very slightly ahead of the Sharp due to the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing but the Sharp slightly ahead when it comes to its slightly better ability to reproduce blacks.

4. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

True the l300u is "only" 960x520, but its a heck of a LCD unit. It has a screen image smoother that eliminates screen door effect, and that res is built for DVD wide-screen viewing. In fact its a perfect 1/2 res in each direction of HDTV so it actually should look better that a XSVGA when both compress the HDTV picture... It's also got very good contrast and black level.

I wouldn't touch DLP. Odds are, on even an expensive unit that you, or someone viewing with you is not going to be able to stand it. This "only 1% of the population can see rainbows" is BS. I can almost gaurantee you that if you have a few friends over to see a movie, somebody is going to get a headache watching it.

JS

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

6. hakushi

hakushi Auditioning

I have to agree with the DLP issue. I was dead set on getting the Sharp DLP. I went to a store to kill some time one day and watched a few movies on it for about 20 minutes.

I did notice the rainbow & once I did I couldn't look at anything else. I had viewed the sharp a few times before and it was not a probmlem in a quick showroom setting. Once I actually sat on a couch and just watched a movie though it hit me.

After about 20 minutes I left the store and once outside in the daylight again I realized I was completly nausious! I felt like I did when I saw Blair Witch in the theater.

Now I'm looking at the LCDs again. I only wish a store near me had the PT-L300U for me to demo. I'd hate to buy anything without seeing it in person for myself.

7. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Fahmi,
    The problems with DLP are not just rainbows. Many people, me included, cannot watch a DLP presentation for very long without getting eye fatigue and head aches. I recommend you actually watch a DLP projector for over an hour and see if you are affected. Just remember if you go the DLP route there will probably always be some of your guests that will be affected by either rainbows or eye fatigue. In your price range, have you considered an LCOS projector? You can get the Hitachi 5600,JVC D-ILA G15, or the new SX-21 will be available soon.

Earl