Pull trigger on X1 and Hi-Power Da-lite, let's pull cable now

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeTC, May 27, 2003.

1. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

Pulled trigger on X1 and Da-lite hi-power, now I'm about to pull cables. What cable would you pull for your X1 set-up?

I'm going with a total of 7 RG6 coax cables: 3 for Interlace, 3 for progressive and one for composite. I have a interlace DVD right now, but I will get the progressive some time in the future. I don't want to switch bet. the two source.

Too many cables? What would you do/done?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I cannot speak about the X1 in specific terms.

But to cover all bases, I would run:

- One set of Canare/Belden component wires
    - One set of SVideo wires
    - One composite wire (Why are you doing 3?)

There are "SVideo Break-out" adaptors that let you run 2 RG6 video cables, but at each end you have a "Y" adaptor that ends in a SVideo jack. If you go this route, you could run 2 sets of 3-conductor RG6.

I have written to BlueJeansCable about making this type of cable. His response was quite good, but he has found that using RG59 - style cable works better for the SVideo feed as it is thinner which makes it easier to wire into a SVideo plug & keep the stress off the connections.

This could result in:

- One 3-conductor Canare Component cable
    - One 3-conductor Belden RG59 cable (1-SVideo, 1-Composite)

Note: Doing your own RCA-terminated cables is possible with some skill or the right tools. But that SVideo connector - not for the amature. It's a very tight/small connector that has to be done with care/experience to avoid messing the impedence.

While you MIGHT want to feed a progressive signal directly to the projector, I'd try and standardize on SVideo for everything else and run all these signals through my HT receiver to do the switching.

If you get more than one component source, there are several good HD switch-box's you can use to maintain a single component feed to the projector.

Hope this helps.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

PS: Have you seen these cables? The 'good' stuff is not glove-soft, rubbery things you are used to seeing in the stores. They are thick, heavy, and encased in a PVC sheath that fights bending and protects the cables even while being pulled through conduit with hundreds of pounds of force.

These cables can whip your projector around and put lots of strain on your connections. This can be very bad for a sensitive optical device.

Make note of where the connection panel on the X1 is and plan your cable run to aproach the connections from this direction without making tight bends. Yes, you can use strain-relief to force things, but if you can plan ahead, you can do a better job.

4. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

Bob, thanks for your inputs.

Component interlace is better than Svideo as far as signal quality goes. With the X1, either a Svideo signal or interlace component signal thru the Svideo connector so interlace component wins. I make my own canare RCA cables and I have tons of RG6, so I'm standardize my cables with RG6. It going to be a fight to run the 7 cables.

Your advise on strain relief is valid, thanks the reminder.