public school vs. private school

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ted Lee, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

my girlfriend and i are thinking about putting her boys (8-year old twins) into private school.

personally, i'm not a big fan of private schools. to me, they do no better (or worse) then the public system. personally i believe that it's really up to the child and parent (the whole nature vs. nurture debate) to succeed. regardless of income or social status - if someone wants to succeed they will. i've heard plenty of stories of people who did poorly (or even dropped out) of school -- only to become very successful later in life.

but then again, i knew plenty of kids who went to the private school in my town - and they were the biggest party group i knew. i really learned all my bad habits from them.

so ... anyway ... i am just curious as to your personal expereinces with school. if you went to a private school, do you feel it was a benefit? do you know anyone who went to private school, etc.

thx!

ted

[edit] i forgot to mention, i do see some benefits to private school, but i'll hold off for now.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

i was in a private catholic school (thats what you mean, right) for 2nd thru 8th grade. I thought it gave me a lot of advantages. I got into Public junior high and found I knew most everything (I learned most of it by 6th grade.)
    Private schools also do an excellant job at getting kids to know sex ed real early. (4th-5th grade) That helped...

And morals. Private schools try and focus more on morals and all that fun stuff. I think that if I didnt go to a private school, my morals wouldve been crap.

my son (kindergartner) is in public school and I hate it. Im hoping to be able to pay for his private school fees by 2nd grade when learning matters a little more.

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I dated a girl for four years whose sister went to a private school for her first year of high school and went to a public school for the final three years. She chose to go to the private school because that's where most of her friends were going, and she didn't seem to mind that her parents had to pay almost $6,000.00 per year for her to do so. She left after her first year because her parents couldn't afford it anymore and she then attended a public school starting in her sophmore year. The city in which they lived features some of the highest quality high schools around, and her education was no different than what she receive before (minus the Christian component of her education). However, that isn't always the case in many parts of the country. I don't know the quality of the schools in the Sacremento area, and I cannot assume that the same situation I knew of generalizes to yours. Good luck!

4. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I went to a highly rated public elementary, a highly rated Catholic Jr. High, and a private, non religious High School which consistently ranks in the top 5 of prep schools nationwide, and I will be sending my son to the Private non-religious school, and its elementary counterpart.

The differences I noticed are these:

1. Teachers at the public school spent much of their time with discipline problems. This was less of a problem at the Catholic School (where the discipline was MUCH stricter- i.e. Corporal punishment) and was no problem at the private high school (there, the rule was, break the rules get suspended for the semester... LIE= BYE BYE). The difference wasn't the approach. The difference was the kids. 90% of the public school and catholic school kids didn't WANT TO BE THERE ANYWAY...

2. Class Size- Public/Catholic was 30 kids to a room. Private, I had 60 kids in my entire GRADE, 5 to a class.

3. Public School teachers seemed more concerned about the next contract negotiation, and whether they would have to work during recess. Catholic School teachers were most concerned with whether the kids were learning RELIGION, and not using bad language, not running in the halls, etc... Private school teachers didn't care about any of those things and ONLY cared about whether I WAS LEARNING what THEY WERE TEACHING. They stayed after class, were available at night for extra tutoring, made themselves available on weekends, called my parents if they thought I didn't perform up to my potential on a given assignment, etc... things I think the nta would go on strike for if a public school teacher was asked to perform. They truly CARED that the kids LEARNED.

5. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

TED- I just noticed you're in Sacramento- I suggest you contact Sacramento Country Day School if you're considering private.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It depends. [​IMG]

I have no idea about Sacramento, but there are some private schools in Dallas that have great facilities, outstanding teachers and provide an education second to none (these tend to be expensive). There are also some that are more concerned with providing a narrow view of the world, rather than a more inclusive one.

The Dallas area also has some public schools with all of the problems of city public schools—and with many that provide an education equal to the better private schools.

I don’t think that there is an overall correct answer. You did not say, but if religions instruction is important to you, then a private school may well be the best (or only) solution. Or if you feel that the public schools that her children can attend are substandard, this can be a reasonable solution.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One more thing—I went to a public school, as did my son. My wife went to a private (university lab) school. Her primary and secondary education was undoubtedly superior to mine, though not necessarily to our sons.

Her class size was really small, which is a decided advantage. No matter what choice you make, there is no substitute for a lot of parental involvement at home.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I went to private schools all the way thru HS. I went to an All boys high school were the priests have a license to kill. We had a priest who was an ex-boxer; he once picked up a kid in his desk and threw both out a door. College was a breeze for 2 years since it was all a review.
    As a freshman we had over 200 and at graduation we had 100. The rest had been thrown out or kicked out for grades. 99 out of 100 went to college, the other kid killed himself.
    You learn to not get caught which is good in this society but it can be a living hell.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys.

none of us are at all religious, so that's a non-issue. tbh, i think i would prefer one where religion didn't come into play.

erik brings up a good point about discipline. my sister's kids go to the school we're thinking of. she mentioned that discipline is handled differently there - when kids get in a fight the whole class stops to talk it out. interesting to say the least. she did mention that kids there don't seem to fight that much.

i was also brought up in the public system. while i feel it wasn't a big deal for me, i know that schools are different now. much more violent, etc. i guess that's the element i want to elimiate from the boys.

as far as parent/child interaction goes, i'm pretty comfortable there. as it is, i spend anywhere from one to two hours a night with the boys doing their homework. it's killin' me ... but i guess it's worth it. [​IMG]

on a side note, and i know this is going to sound bad, but i think private school has one benefit: the social class. i know it sounds stereo-typical, but i feel that private kids come from better backgrounds, have a better upbringing, etc. i just can't help but feel that that's gotta be a better environment for the boys. i know that's not an absolute rule, but i'd wager that's a reasonable statement to make.

[edit] i also like the idea that the teachers seem to really care (or at least pay more attention) to kids in private school. at least that's the impression i'm getting from people i've spoken with.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I have a rather negative view of private schools. I was in a catholic school from Kintergarten thru middle school, by the time I got to highschool:

*I had no typing or computer skills (The nuns insisted on longhand). I had to take remedial classes for both subjects.

*Latin, as it turns out, was in fact useless. I had to learn in the four years of highschool spanish what the rest of the student body was learning since grade school.[​IMG]

*I wasn't even raised catholic[​IMG]

*This was in addition to no advanced placement classes, sports programs, or electives of any kind. Later on I would learn that the "school" was critically underfunded and many of the "teachers" had no college degree!

All that plus uniforms that caused the public school children to beat the living shit out of you (We shared the public school buses). Trust me...Nun's with rulers don't hold a candle to having a lost a tooth to a Doc Marten.[​IMG]

In summary: No, there is no way in hell I would send any child to a private school.

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Garret's experience with catholic school is very similar to mine... Garret and I know the same preist.... Mine had a blackbelt- and kicked a kid across the cafeteria (neither myself, nor anyone I knew actually saw it happen, but everybody knew somebody, who knew somebody who had to clean up the blood...etc...) and I would not send my kid to Catholic School. Private School is a whole different world... Lumping the two together is a mistake.

My High School experience was very similar to what most people experience in college. In other words, FREAKIN' AWESOME!

However, if you're looking for classes in typing, or driving, or shop, or any of the other "vocational" type classes, PRIVATE SCHOOL IS NOT THE WAY TO GO. We had NONE of these... Its a strict structured curiculum designed at getting the top 50% of the class in the Ivy League, and the bottom 50% anywhere else they want to go. In my class of 60 people, we had 5 who got perfect SAT scores. We had DOZENS of AP classes and most graduates were already done with the first year of college when they arrived.

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

If I had kids I would definately send them to a non-religion based private school.

13. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I grew up in Lodi. The public schools there were very good ten (ok, twenty!) years ago. Stockton had some to avoid; Elk Grove was good; Sacramento was a mixed bag. Realtors can tell you much about the public schools.

I would live in a good public school neighborhood. A close friend who graduated from Cornell attended private catholic school through 9th grade. When he got into high school he found that those students who had enrolled in the gifted-students programs were light-years ahead of him.

I have enrolled my 7 yr old in the public school system gifted student program and admit it has impressed me. He is in second grade this year and loves to play a game where I name a state and he tells me the capital - he never misses....

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Of course, we knew the mayor's kids and all the kids of the Doctors and Lawyers. Everyone knew them, they sold all the drugs.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol. one of my friends in high-school was a druggie and gay.

the kicker? his dad ran the catholic school. [​IMG]

that's a good point about the extra-curricular stuff. i didn't think about that. i guess there is a valid fear of too much specialization in the private schools. hmm...

i'm not too worried about punishment...i doubt too many school's can get away with kickin' a child across the room. i did get hit with a book thrown by a teacher when i was a kid...but i never did anything about it. now a days that would never fly.

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I swear evertime I see some white colar criminal that screws millions out of a lively hood I can bet you he is a product of private schools.
    If we were not good at being sneaky we got thrown out of school.
    But you can get an education and he can take 2 years of Latin which is good if we ever get attacked by a Latin American country[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Still miss Quail)

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Read the fine print, only public schools don't get away with it.
    Our History teacher/ Football coach would make up tortures. It was 1976 so he came up with the Bicenntentual Minute... a kid would lay on his desk and he would pound on them for a minute. I saw some of the biggest football players in tears. He also had 'stick' which he broke over someone and got so mad he got another punishment for breaking stick

18. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Erik,

That sounds interesting... I probably would have been well suited at a non-religious school such as that... I was interested in AP classes, but didnt have the opportunity to take any...

Anyways, here is my story... I believe that it depends on the school, district, etc...

I went to two different high schools...

The first high school was very good and I enjoyed it... It was 6 hours 15 minutes a day... Tolerating time length... As a Freshman, you could pick three electives (The choices were very good), your preferred foreign language (Spanish, French, German, Arabic, etc. The even offered sign langauge.), and your own Gym class for what you liked or were better suited in... Choices were based on semester... Some were Weightlifting, Aquatics, Scuba Diving, Swimming, Outdoor Activities, Archery, etc...) I hated regular PE class with a passion, but I loved the way Gym was set up in this High School... The variety of choices you could pick was excellent and very enjoyable... No one was really unhappy in Gym because you could pick what you wanted to do... We even had open lunch (With a parents permission, you are allowed to leave during lunch hour).

Half way through 10th grade, we had to move... I was very disappointed... I tried to get out of it and stop it, but there was really nothing that could be done...

Anyways, the second High School I went to sucked... Typical prison... 8 hour days, Cold white walls, hard seats, bars on the windows... Back to being trapped in for lunch, regular PE, crap classes with teachers who didnt give two shites about anything except a paycheck... I was even misplaced in classes... I was in Honor's English in 9th and 10th grade, but all the sudden ended up in a low level English class... How is that possible??? I have no idea... Maybe the school had poor funding... They didnt even offer Honors... I was so unhappy at this place that my grades dropped for awhile because I just stopped caring for awhile... Very stressful...

Anyways, the first High School I loved... The teachers were very good and made learning fun... The students were less stressed and more pleasant to be around because there was more freedom in general...

The second High School... I would never want to live those 2 years again... I took early graduation December of my Sr. Year just to get out of that hellish place... I would choose home schooling and personal training if I had the choice again...

I didnt really learn much either... I was held back from my potential... When I went to college, I did better... It was a more free environment again with more choices...

So, I belive much of it does depend on the specific school, district, etc...

19. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My dad liberated me from Catholic school when he found me crying my eyes out one Saturday when I was in the 4th grade, convinced I would go to hell because I'd eaten a hot dog on a Friday. Sadistic nuns right off the plane from Ireland armed with quarter inch thick yardsticks and a pathological hatred of the entire male half of the human race, regardless of age.

I transferred to public school for the 5th grade and felt like I'd been rescued from Death Row.

20. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

That coach sounds like a psycho... Send him to prison for a few weeks with Big Bubba and a bar of soap... Maybe that would straighten him out...

My mother, her siblings, and others I have heard of went to Catholic school for awhile, so I have heard several stories...

To be honest, with the childhood my mother had, I am surprised she is even sain... You would never think she had a bad childhood... She ended up very normal, friendly, and easy going which sometimes surprises me...

Nothing like my grandmother who is evil on two legs... That woman needed to be used as a spare football at yesterdays Superbowl...

I dont know how I would have ended up if I had a horrible childhood... I would probably be mentally out of reality most of the time... Daydreaming, letting out weird laughs, walking around dazed, maybe a very cruel bastard, etc... Who knows???

I have had some bad experiences and even some bad years... But, the entirity of my childhood was not a nightmare all the way through... I am thankful every single day for that...